Sumif and base it on font color of cell

  1. #1
    Bruce
    Guest

    Sumif and base it on font color of cell

    I am having to work with a guy's spreadsheet for a few months that gets upset
    if I do widespread changes in the way he has it setup. And it is quite large.
    And he will take it back probably after two or three months anyway, so its
    just mine for a little while to process.

    So, rather than change much of what he has going, I need to see if in this
    one case, if I can do a "sumif" formula based on the color of the font he is
    using. For example, most numeric values he has are in the normal black text.
    There are both subtotals and allocated values in the same column.

    He is using a bluish color font for the value he is allocating out in that
    same column. Obviously if I sum in the same column at the bottom, I would be
    doubling up or even tripling the total. But if I could sum only those cells
    whose cell font is blue as he has it right now, I'd be able to do it.

    Any suggestions on how to accomplish such a formula?

    Thanks,

    Bruce

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Sumif and base it on font color of cell

    You would need to use a vba function to do this. See:

    http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Hope this helps
    Rowan