Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

  1. #1
    Aussie CPA
    Guest

    Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

    I'm wanting to use the edate function.
    Does anyone know how I can convert the edate answer back into dd/mm/yyyy in
    the cell contents rather than with formatting.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:29:01 -0700, "Aussie CPA"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm wanting to use the edate function.
    >Does anyone know how I can convert the edate answer back into dd/mm/yyyy in
    >the cell contents rather than with formatting.

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but perhaps:

    =TEXT(EDATE(A1,1),"dd/mm/yyyy")

    --ron

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

    Hi!

    This will keep the date numeric: (if you need to do further calcs)

    =DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(EDATE(A1,1)))

    This will return a TEXT string:

    =TEXT(EDATE(A1,1),"dd/mm/yyyy")

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:46:31 -0400, "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >This will keep the date numeric: (if you need to do further calcs)
    >
    >=DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(EDATE(A1,1)))

    How does that formula differ from:

    =EDATE(A1,1)

    ?????

    --ron

  5. #5
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

    I am curious. Why do you want text in the cell rather than a formatted date?
    If you do this, you can not do further date arithmetic with the value unless
    you use the DATEVALUE function.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

    >=DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(EDATE(A1,1)))
    >How does that formula differ from:
    >=EDATE(A1,1)

    It doesn't as far as the value returned.

    The longer redundant formula will return the auto formatted value versus
    Edate returning the serial date. I wasn't sure about what the OP was really
    asking for. I read that maybe for some reason they couldn't format the
    result of Edate. That's why I also included the Text function.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:16:01 -0400, "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It doesn't as far as the value returned.
    >
    >The longer redundant formula will return the auto formatted value versus
    >Edate returning the serial date. I wasn't sure about what the OP was really
    >asking for. I read that maybe for some reason they couldn't format the
    >result of Edate. That's why I also included the Text function.

    That autoformatting could be handy. I wonder why EDATE doesn't autoformat
    whereas the DATE function does. Possibly an affect of native code vs an
    add-in.
    --ron