How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

  1. #1
    ady_sandu
    Guest

    How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?
    For example :
    date1 = 19 feb 1999
    date2 = 07 ian 2005
    difference = **days, **months, **years.
    thank you!

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    This may not be the *best* way, but it looks like it works ...

    In A1 put Date1 (eg 19 Feb 1999)
    In A2 put Date2 (eg 07 Jan 2005)
    In B1 put the formula =INT(YEARFRAC(A1,A2,1))
    In B2 put the formula =INT((YEARFRAC(A1,A2,1)-B1)*12)
    In B3 put the formula =A2-DATE(YEAR(A1)+B1,MONTH(A1)+B2,DAY(A1))
    In C1 put the text "Years"
    In C2 put the text "Months"
    In C3 put the text "Days"

    If you need to get the result all into one cell, you can make a
    compound formula, or concatenate the results as you wish.

    HTH
    ScottO

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ady_sandu
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    the function *INT(YEARFRAC(A1,A2,1))* it is not recognized by excel...

  4. #4
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    Sorry ady_, I should have mentioned that the "YearFrac" function is
    an add-in.
    All you need to do is load the Analysis ToolPak add-in and it'll work
    fine.
    Go Tools\Add-ins and check the box next to Analysis ToolPak, then
    click OK.
    Rgds,

  5. #5
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    If you don't like my answer, and I wouldn't blame you ...
    Take a look at this link http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xl_birthday.htm
    Rgds,
    ScottO

    "ScottO" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    | Sorry ady_, I should have mentioned that the "YearFrac" function is
    | an add-in.
    | All you need to do is load the Analysis ToolPak add-in and it'll
    work
    | fine.
    | Go Tools\Add-ins and check the box next to Analysis ToolPak, then
    | click OK.
    | Rgds,
    | ScottO
    |
    | "ady_sandu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | | the function *INT(YEARFRAC(A1,A2,1))* it is not recognized by
    | excel...
    | |
    | |

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    Hi Ady

    One way would be to use the little documented DATEDIF function

    With your first date in A1 and your second date in A2
    =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&" days, "&DATEDFIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" months,
    "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" years"

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:15:42 +0100, Roger Govier
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Ady
    >
    >One way would be to use the little documented DATEDIF function
    >
    >With your first date in A1 and your second date in A2
    >=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&" days, "&DATEDFIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" months,
    >"&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" years"
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Roger Govier

    One of my peeves with the DATEDIF function is that it can give strange results
    under certain circumstances. For example:

    A1: 31 Jan 2005
    A2 1 Mar 2007

    -2 days, 1 months, 2 years

    --ron

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:04:02 -0700, ady_sandu
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?
    >For example :
    >date1 = 19 feb 1999
    >date2 = 07 ian 2005
    >difference = **days, **months, **years.
    >thank you!

    Since both years and months have varying numbers of days, how you calculate the
    differences depends on how you define these terms and how you want to calculate
    the differences.

    For example:

    What result do you want for the following pairs of dates?

    Start End
    1/31/2005 3/1/2005

    2/1/2005 3/1/2005

    1/31/2005 5/1/2005

    1/15/2005 3/15/2005

    --ron

  9. #9
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the difference between 2 dates (m,d,y) ?

    This will NOT always work correctly.

    Errors are most likely when the 2nd date is very close to the anniversary
    date. For example, with the dates Sep 29, 2000 and Sep 29, 2005. The result is
    4 years, 11 months, and 31 days, instead of 5 years, 0 months, and 0 days.

    (OTOH, with the first date Sep 29, 2001, you do get 4 years exactly.)

    Based on much experimentation that Norman Harker and I did some time ago, the
    "problems" arise from the bizarre way in which this function calculates the
    number of days in year (the average of the year lengths starting with the
    calendar year in which the 1st date falls and ending with the calendar year in
    which the last day falls). We concluded that YEARFRAC was intended for
    calculation of time spans less of than a year, and even then you have problems
    if the dates are in two different years and one of them is a leap year.