Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

  1. #1
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    Hi,

    I have the array formula see below

    {=SUM((kpi_Code=$C11&L$15)*(kpi_CD>0)*(kpi_AFD>0)*(kpi_CD))*100}

    which is the divisor element within a larger array formula. When this
    subset divisor element evaluates to zero, obviously the cell returns
    the #Div/0! result.

    I know I could wrap the whole formula in an If Iserror to get round
    this, i.e.

    If(iserror(large_formula),"",(large_formula)

    but this makes the whole formula - well much larger. Is there a more
    elegant way of arranging this in order to keep the whole formula as
    small as possible?

    TIA

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    Richard,

    Well, no, not really. You need to use an IF somewhere. You could use =IF(SUM( formula
    below)=0,"",Large Formula). Or you could use a second cell that looks at the result of the first,
    and returns "" when it has an error.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    Hi

    =IF(divisor=0,"",large_formula)

    Furthermore, you can define parts of your large_formula as names (named
    functions), so that the whole will look like
    =IF(Name2=0,"",Name1/Name2)

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:44:46 +0300, "Arvi Laanemets" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >=IF(divisor=0,"",large_formula)
    >
    >Furthermore, you can define parts of your large_formula as names (named
    >functions), so that the whole will look like
    >=IF(Name2=0,"",Name1/Name2)

    Arvi,

    That's an interesting idea, please tell me more.

    How do I name part of the formula. I tried highlighting the relevant
    part and going to Insert Name Define as you'd normally do, but the
    define bit is greyed out. The Excel help wasn't much help when I
    looked.

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    Hi

    When Define is greyed out, then probably you have the worksheet, from where
    you tried to open the Name Define Wizard, protected. Unprotect the sheet
    before, after that try again.

    And highlighting the range is not helping you in any way - you are creating
    a named formula (returns a value), not a range, so simply enter the formula
    into RefersTo field. Probably you have to use non-array SUMPRODUCT instead
    of SUM as array formula, because you can't enter formulas with
    Ctrl+Shift+Enter in Name Define Wizard (sometimes Excel can decide, that the
    formula must be an array one, and behaves accordingly, but it doesn't work
    100%).

    Arvi Laanemets

  6. #6
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Simplifying array formula which evaluates as error.

    Hi,

    While the array formula will remain as is, you can use conditinal formatting
    to hide the error value. In the cell which has the array formula, go to
    conditional formatting in the Format menu and in the drop down menu select -
    "Formula is". In the other box, type - =iserror(cell reference)

    Now click on the format tab and in Font colour, select white.

    Now click on OK and OK again.

    This should hide error values

    Regards,