Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

  1. #1
    Patrick Young
    Guest

    Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Please help me write the function that would match the Month and the Sales
    to give me the amount of Commission for each combination of Month and Sales
    Value.

    Thanks,

    Patrick

    Month Sales Commission

    May-05
    -
    -

    May-05
    $ 297,409
    $600

    May-05
    $ 1,000,000
    $833

    Jun-05
    -
    -

    Jun-05
    $ 330,515
    $800

    Jun-05
    $ 1,500,000
    $900

    Jul-05
    -
    -

    Jul-05
    $ 298,390
    $500

    Jul-05
    $ 1,700,000
    $1500

    Aug-05
    -
    -

    Aug-05
    $ 341,568
    $400

    Aug-05
    $ 1,900,000
    $600

    Sep-05
    -
    -

    Sep-05
    $ 319,376
    $700

    Sep-05
    $ 2,000,000
    $1500

    Oct-05
    -
    -

    Oct-05
    $ 379,096
    $200

    Oct-05
    $ 1,000,000
    $1800

  2. #2
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Hello Patrick,

    It would help if you explained a little more. Right now we only have what
    information you are attempting to use to return a value. This does not tell
    us how your data is structured, which doesn't really allow us to give you a
    working solution. Try explaining in greater detail how your data is setup,
    where you are wanting to put this formula and what the desired results
    should be.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Patrick,

    You might also be interested in the SumProduct worksheet function.
    This one will look at values in one column and pull out only those matching
    one criteria.
    Than you can add additional columns to do the same. And than add the last
    column which is the value column (to add up). The result is the sum for all
    the concurrent matches.

    But again - we need details on how your columns are set up...

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond

  4. #4
    Patrick Young
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Hello Zack,

    Every month, I have to calculate the commissions to be paid to a list of
    sales reps, based on the value of their individual sales and the specific
    commission program (different each month but the same for each sales rep in
    a given month) for the month. So the variables by sales rep are the month,
    the amount of the sales, the commission program (same for every sales rep)
    for the month. I want to copy the required function against each sales rep
    name to calculate the commission due to him.

    Thanks for your help,

    Patrick

    "Zack Barresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Patrick,
    >
    > It would help if you explained a little more. Right now we only have what
    > information you are attempting to use to return a value. This does not
    > tell
    > us how your data is structured, which doesn't really allow us to give you
    > working solution. Try explaining in greater detail how your data is
    > setup,
    > where you are wanting to put this formula and what the desired results
    > should be.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
    >

    > "Patrick Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >> Please help me write the function that would match the Month and the
    >> Sales
    >> to give me the amount of Commission for each combination of Month and
    >> Sales
    >> Value.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> Patrick

    Month Sales Commission
    May-05 - -
    May-05 $ 297,409 $600
    May-05 $ 1,000,000 $833
    Jun-05 - -
    Jun-05 $ 330,515 $800
    Jun-05 $ 1,500,000 $900
    Jul-05 - -
    Jul-05 $ 298,390 $500
    Jul-05 $ 1,700,000 $ 1500
    Aug-05 - -
    Aug-05 $ 341,568 $400
    Aug-05 $ 1,900,000 $600
    Sep-05 - -
    Sep-05 $ 319,376 $700
    Sep-05 $ 2,000,000 $1500
    Oct-05 - -
    Oct-05 $ 379,096 $200
    Oct-05 $ 1,000,000 $1800

  5. #5
    Patrick Young
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Hello Steve,

    Every month, I have to calculate the commissions to be paid to a list of
    sales reps, based on the value of their individual sales and the specific
    commission program (different each month but the same for each sales rep in
    a given month) for the month. So the variables by sales rep are the month,
    the amount of the sales, the commission program (same for every sales rep)
    for the month. I want to copy the required function against each sales rep
    name to calculate the commission due to him.

    The table below lists the criteria to be used to pay the commissions, and
    they are ranked in ascending order of sales volume by month.

    Thanks for your help,

    Patrick

    "STEVE BELL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Patrick,
    >
    > You might also be interested in the SumProduct worksheet function.
    > This one will look at values in one column and pull out only those
    > matching one criteria.
    > Than you can add additional columns to do the same. And than add the last
    > column which is the value column (to add up). The result is the sum for
    > all the concurrent matches.
    >
    > But again - we need details on how your columns are set up...
    >
    > --
    > steveB
    >
    > Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    > "Patrick Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >> Please help me write the function that would match the Month and the
    >> Sales to give me the amount of Commission for each combination of Month
    >> and Sales Value.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> Patrick

    Month Sales Commission
    May-05 - -
    May-05 $ 297,409 $600
    May-05 $ 1,000,000 $833
    Jun-05 - -
    Jun-05 $ 330,515 $800
    Jun-05 $ 1,500,000 $900
    Jul-05 - -
    Jul-05 $ 298,390 $500
    Jul-05 $ 1,700,000 $ 1500
    Aug-05 - -
    Aug-05 $ 341,568 $400
    Aug-05 $ 1,900,000 $600
    Sep-05 - -
    Sep-05 $ 319,376 $700
    Sep-05 $ 2,000,000 $1500
    Oct-05 - -
    Oct-05 $ 379,096 $200
    Oct-05 $ 1,000,000 $1800

  6. #6
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Can you tell us where your data is located, giving us an idea of your data
    structure? How about a 5-10 row example?

  7. #7
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Patrick,

    One way to do this is with Data >> SubTotals

    If you are not familiar with this - it goes
    through the table and adds in a subtotal at each change in a designate
    field. (I choose Month).

    After it is done you have an outline that you can collapse to just show the
    subtotals.

    Play with this and than you can record a macro to automate it.

    I sent you a sample workbook with your sample data.

    See if this is what you are looking for...

    [email protected]

  8. #8
    Patrick Young
    Guest

    Re: Function Vlookup, Match or Index?

    Hi Zack,

    The sales by sales rep is located in a Hyperion database that is accessed by
    Excel as soon as the books are closed at month-end. The Excel spreadsheet is
    laid out as in the following example:-

    Month: August 05

    Salesrep Sales Commission

    P $100000
    X $300000
    Y $200000
    Z $150000

    I need to calculate the required commission by salesrep from the following
    table (for August 05 from the above example):-

    Month Sales Commission

    May-05 - -
    May-05 $ 297,409 $600
    May-05 $ 1,000,000 $833
    Jun-05 - -
    Jun-05 $ 330,515 $800
    Jun-05 $ 1,500,000 $900
    Jul-05 - -
    Jul-05 $ 298,390 $500
    Jul-05 $ 1,700,000 $ 1500
    Aug-05 - -
    Aug-05 $ 341,568 $400
    Aug-05 $ 1,900,000 $600
    Sep-05 - -
    Sep-05 $ 319,376 $700
    Sep-05 $ 2,000,000 $1500
    Oct-05 - -
    Oct-05 $ 379,096 $200
    Oct-05 $ 1,000,000 $1800

    I hope I have given you enough information this time, Zack.