COUNTIF - everything excluding a string

  1. #1
    sans
    Guest

    COUNTIF - everything excluding a string

    I'm using an Excel document to keep track of the cases I handle in my
    department. I have several columns, B through L, with each cases information.
    Once a case is determine to be resolved I fill the cells in row F (everything
    7 and down) with *** CLOSED ***. I already have a basic function that goes
    like this:

    =COUNTIF(F:F,"*** CLOSED ***")

    Pretty basic huh? Well that tells me how many cases I've closed in a pretty
    forward way. Now the hard part is counting everything that doesn't have that
    string in it, resulting in the cases that are still open. I would then have
    another formula that figures the total of the two to give me my grand total
    number of cases that I have handled. So what I'm asking is for a formula that
    will tell me how many cases I have open. Again F7:F100.

    For the sake of argument, I've got 13 worksheets, one for every month, and a
    summary which I will use to analyze the cases as soon as I learn the
    functions I'm looking for. As it is now, B2 on each worksheet has my close
    count because that was the easy one. B1 is where I want the open cases
    formula to go.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF - everything excluding a string

    =COUNTA(F7:F100)-COUNTIF(F7:F100,"*** CLOSED ***")

    Dave

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF - everything excluding a string

    Try,
    =COUNTIF(F:F,"<>"&"*** CLOSED ***")
    Regards,
    Alan.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF - everything excluding a string

    Sorry,
    =COUNTIF(F7:F100,"<>"&"*** CLOSED ***")
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...