How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

  1. #1
    BarrySandell
    Guest

    How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

    I have an Excel spreadsheet of daily totals where some days have no values
    and some days have several values. I want to consolidate this into weekly
    totals. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

    =AVERAGE(IF((A1:A30>=J1)*(A1:A30<=K1),B1:B30))

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter where K1 is the first date of the week and
    K1 the last

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

    On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:01:03 -0700, BarrySandell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have an Excel spreadsheet of daily totals where some days have no values
    >and some days have several values. I want to consolidate this into weekly
    >totals. Any ideas?

    How about a pivot table.

    Drag the dates to the row area.
    Drag the Values to the data area.

    Right click on dates and select
    Group and Show Detail/Group
    Select a starting date that reflects the start of week 1 and then group by Days
    with Number of Days set to 7

    --ron

  4. #4
    BarrySandell
    Guest

    RE: How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

    Thanks for your responses. I thought of a simple solution about 5 minutes
    after posting my question. Typical!

    Use the WEEKNUM function to convert each date into the number of the week in
    which it appears, then use a pivot table to sum the values for each week. To
    convert the weeknum back to a date (eg for plotting on a chart), add the week
    number * 7 to the Excel index number for 1st Jan, then format the result as
    d/mm/yy. Works every time!

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate weekly totals of daily data in Excel

    Just a heads up if you send the file(s) to someone else, WEEKNUM is part of
    the Analysis ToolPak and many users in a corporate environment might not
    have it installed (they'll get a name error)