Referencing Sheet Tabs

  1. #1
    DB
    Guest

    Referencing Sheet Tabs

    Is there a way to use the "value" of a name in a drop-down list to reference
    a sheet tab name in a formula?

    A1 has a drop down list. When a name (Bob's Sales) is selected from the
    drop down list, B1 shows the value of cell D5 from sheet "Bob's Sales".

    Thanks for your help!!

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    Use as the cell reference the following code:

    ='Bobs Sales'!D5

    Dave

  3. #3
    DB
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    David I would list the text "Bob's Sales" to come from the drop down list. I
    want the value in cell Sheet1 B2 to change each time another name is selected
    from the drop down list.

  4. #4
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    Assume "Bob's Sales" is displaying in cell A1 when you select it from the
    drop down list (I assume you are just using a 'List' under data validation to
    achieve the drop down list?) Use this formula, entered in Sheet1 B2 (Note
    the worksheet tabs have to correspond exactly to the name in the drop down
    list):

    =INDIRECT(A1&"!D5")

    Change the A1 reference to whichever cell is displaying your names.

    Dave

  5. #5
    DB
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    David I would like the text "Bob's Sales" to come from the drop down list. I

  6. #6
    DB
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    David when I type this formula =INDIRECT(A1&"!D5") in I get a #REF error.
    When I "evaluate" the formula the wizard shows INDIRECT("Bob's Sales!D5").
    So it apearrs that the formula is missing the critical single quote around
    Bob's Sales.

    Thanks!!

    DB

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    Try

    =INDIRECT("'"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","''")&"'!D5")

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    DB
    Guest

    Re: Referencing Sheet Tabs

    Bob this work just fine. Thanks so much to everyone that helped.

    DB