Friends: Please guide me

  1. #1
    PRASAD RAO SEERA
    Guest

    Friends: Please guide me

    Dear Friends,

    I need a small information. Recently, I appeared for Financail Executive
    post in a leading private bank. And, in that interview, I am asked to rate my
    skills with regard to Excel. I rated myself as "Accurate". Later, the
    interviewer asked me, "r u familiar with the advanced topics of EXCEL or will
    be using EXCEL just by and for punching figures and doing calculations. Now,
    what I want to know from u is that What does he mean by "Advanced Topics"?

    Please reply. I would be grateful to the guys who respond to this query.

    Thanks a lot.

    Prasad Rao Seera

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Friends: Please guide me

    It's hard to say, exactly, what he meant by "advanced topics", but I would
    say the following are typically considered to be the more 'advanced' features
    of Excel:

    Using Macros (VBA)
    Creating and Editing Macros
    User Defined Functions (UDF)
    Workbook Security
    Consolidation, Web, Integration, XML Features
    Customizing Excel
    Syncronizing the use of databases, importing data

    Hope that helps.

    Dave

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    A guess, but I would suggest he means things like

    - pivot tables
    - charts
    - data validation
    - Goal seek
    - scenarios
    - subtotals
    - filtering

    and maybe some more

    Bob Phillips

    "PRASAD RAO SEERA" <PRASAD RAO [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    Those would have been my guess too. Throw in Solver and IF / VLOOKUP /
    SUMPRODUCT type formulas as well and you have a pretty fair list I think.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    IF? LOL!

    I doubt that most users would see SUMPRODUCT as an advanced technique Ken,
    they probably don't see it as you do.

    Bob

    news:evqD%[email protected]...

    ----

    ----

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    LOL - Tickles me sometimes what i've seen people consider as 'Advanced'.

    I remember helping someone at work on a spreadsheet once who had asked for a
    bit of help with formatting. I accidentally deleted a number, and happened
    to notice that the totals didn't change. Yep you guessed it, he had used a
    calculator to sum all the values and then put the total in. I showed him
    Autosum and he thought that was amazing.

    Ditto one of the girls at work, who had values in say A1:D20, and then in
    row 21 had

    =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6..........

    She then started again on the next column, and did them all manually. When
    i showed here Autosum she was amazed, but when i showed her how copy and
    paste was relative, she was stunned.

    Then the other day I'm trying to play a game that my daughter had on the PC
    and I failed miserably to understand how it worked. Then my 5 year sold son
    came in and showed me how to do it, and he was good!!! I give up <g>

    Regards
    Ken.................

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    "Ken Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Then the other day I'm trying to play a game that my daughter had on the

    PC
    > and I failed miserably to understand how it worked. Then my 5 year sold

    son
    > came in and showed me how to do it, and he was good!!! I give up <g>

    What amazes me about kids these days is that they never seem to need to read
    the manuals, and specifically refuse to. I see the death of RTFM!

  8. #8
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Friends: Please guide me

    Response would be "What's one of those then?" :-)