Conditional Formatting & Dynamic Range

  1. #1
    james
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting & Dynamic Range

    Hello everyone:

    I am learning to highlight duplicates in dynamic range. The problem I have
    is that the highlighting is not been applied consistently to the extended
    cell values.

    In the Name-Define-Refers-to box I entered =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A),1)
    for the dynamic range (Range1). I put duplicates in A1 to A5.

    I highlighted A1 to A5 and put =IF(COUNTIF(Range1,A1)>1,TRUE,FALSE) in the
    Formula Is box with format blue. It worked. The duplicates are highlighted
    blue.

    But as I extended the range with entries, intentionally separating the
    duplicates, some turned blue and some not. I used the "goto" to check the new
    range. The New Range (Range1) covered the new entries but the new duplicates
    did not change to blue.

    Data: A1 to A5, I entered 1, 2, 2, 3, 4. The 2s went blue. Then: from A6 to
    A10, I entered say 545, 2, 855, 2, 2. The first (A7) 2 went blue but not the
    latter 2s.

    Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    james

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting & Dynamic Range

    Hi!

    This works just fine for me. I suspect the problem may be the the way you
    "extended" the conditional formatting.

    >=IF(COUNTIF(Range1,A1)>1,TRUE,FALSE)

    You can shorten that to:

    =COUNTIF(Range1,A1)>1

    How did you extend the conditional formatting?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    james
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting & Dynamic Range

    Thanks. It worked with "numbers" now once I shortened the formula as you
    suggested.

    However, if I were to mix the column with text and numbers, the duplicated
    text still not higlighted. But it is good enough for me for the current
    purpose.

    I suppose I extended the conditional formatting to the added cells by the
    use and referrence of dynamic range name.

    Best regards.

    james