Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one recor

  1. #1
    Richmond
    Guest

    Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one recor

    I have a spreadsheet with multiple records per person and I need to move the
    data from the secondary listings to the first record so that I have only one
    record per person, as this data is going to be used for a mail merge.

    Any suggestions for how to do this quickly?

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one recor

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:41:03 -0700, "Richmond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a spreadsheet with multiple records per person and I need to move the
    >data from the secondary listings to the first record so that I have only one
    >record per person, as this data is going to be used for a mail merge.
    >
    >Any suggestions for how to do this quickly?

    Assuming you want the second record to completely replace the first
    record, then the approach I'd adopt is:

    1. Sort the records by person
    2. Use a helper column with the following formula

    =IF(COUNTIF($A$15:$A$20,A15)>1,IF(A15=A16,"XX","List"),"List")

    Assumes the person name is in column A, and a 6 row data set (rows
    15:20) - change as appropriate.

    3. Now filter the list on "XX" and delete the duplicate (first)
    records.

    HTH
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  3. #3
    Richmond
    Guest

    Re: Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one r

    Thanks so much, Richard, but unfortunately, I have a need not only to keep
    the primary record, but to add to it for each secondary record. So for
    instance, on the first record, I have the person's name and address and the
    details related to one degree that the person has earned. On the second
    line, I have the details related to another degree the person has earned -
    and need to move that data from the second record to additional columns under
    the first record. Unless someone knows of a way to consolidate the data
    using the Word Mail Merge function.

    Thanks for any help you can give!
    Kristin

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one r

    How many potential records are there per person? Is it variable such
    that you might need to add to only one column for one person, but two
    or maybe more columns for another person?

    If there are only ever one or two records per person, and assuming the
    layout is as follows, starting with field headings in row 14

    A B C D
    Name Anyddress Degree1 Degree 2
    John Anyaddress BSc
    John MSc
    Fred Anotheraddress PhD
    Jane Yetanother MSc

    then you could use the following in column D

    =IF(A15=A16,C15,"")

    This will now include the degree from column C against all rows
    identified by "List" in col E.

    Then simply filter out the "List" rows.

    If it's more complex than this, then I think I'd be inclined to write
    a simple VBA macro which loops down the names, and copies the second
    third, fourth...etc. row details into the second, third, fourth etc..
    columns against the first record.

    If you want to pursue this VBA macro further, please let me know. It's
    probably only a few lines of code.

    Rgds

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:34:06 -0700, "Richmond"

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks so much, Richard, but unfortunately, I have a need not only to keep
    >the primary record, but to add to it for each secondary record. So for
    >instance, on the first record, I have the person's name and address and the
    >details related to one degree that the person has earned. On the second
    >line, I have the details related to another degree the person has earned -
    >and need to move that data from the second record to additional columns under
    >the first record. Unless someone knows of a way to consolidate the data
    >using the Word Mail Merge function.
    >
    >Thanks for any help you can give!
    >Kristin
    >
    >"Richard Buttrey" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:41:03 -0700, "Richmond"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a spreadsheet with multiple records per person and I need to move the
    >> >data from the secondary listings to the first record so that I have only one
    >> >record per person, as this data is going to be used for a mail merge.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions for how to do this quickly?

    >> Assuming you want the second record to completely replace the first
    >> record, then the approach I'd adopt is:
    >>
    >> 1. Sort the records by person
    >> 2. Use a helper column with the following formula
    >>
    >> =IF(COUNTIF($A$15:$A$20,A15)>1,IF(A15=A16,"XX","List"),"List")
    >>
    >> Assumes the person name is in column A, and a 6 row data set (rows
    >> 15:20) - change as appropriate.
    >>
    >> 3. Now filter the list on "XX" and delete the duplicate (first)
    >> records.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> __
    >> Richard Buttrey
    >> Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    >> __________________________

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  5. #5
    Richmond
    Guest

    Re: Is there a function to consolidate multiple records into one r

    Many, many thanks Richard! While I did have a variable number of entries per
    person, the majority had only two entries. I used a pivot table to count the
    number of entries per person and then drew that count back into my
    spreadsheet using vlookup. I sorted on this value and for those with three
    or four records, I just tweaked the if statement to bring back the correct
    value. I'm down to one record per person in no time flat!

    Thanks again!
    Kristin