Get Vlookup to look at multiple Rows for the answer

  1. #1
    KDuxbury
    Guest

    Get Vlookup to look at multiple Rows for the answer

    I am working in Excel 2003.
    I have a table of data that has been extracted from a database. It details
    peoples name / month / basic pay / grade / hours over a period of 12 months.
    For each person there are 13 lines, one for each month and then a total.
    I am analysing this data for a pay award and need to put the basic pay
    figure for each month into a cell on another spreadsheet.
    I need the formula to find the right combination of name in column A, and
    date in column b and then the answer is the base pay in column c on that row.
    I have been trying to put together the right combination of Vlookup and
    other logical functions, but have not succeeded.
    Please help.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Get Vlookup to look at multiple Rows for the answer

    It sounds to me as though you could just delete a few columns and sort. But
    if you want to use formulas to pull the pay, I'd use the database functions.
    Since you should only have one entry per person per month, the DSUM function
    should do. You'll still have to create the data for columns A and B (name
    and month). Then use DSUM with the extracted data as your database. The
    criteria for the DSUM would be something like $A1:B2.
    Since that criteria would include additional rows as you autofill down,
    you'd need to subtract the results from all prior rows. Ex: in C2,
    =DSUM(database, "Pay", $A1:B2). In C3, =DSUM(database, "Pay",
    $A1:B3)-SUM(C$2:C2). Then autofill from C3 down.