HOW DO MATCH AND ELIMINATE AMOUNTS IN TWO COLUMNS IN EXCEL

  1. #1
    SNOWBREEZE3
    Guest

    HOW DO MATCH AND ELIMINATE AMOUNTS IN TWO COLUMNS IN EXCEL

    I HAVE EXPORTED A G/L ACCOUNT FROM ACCPAC TO EXCEL AND WISH TO MATCH AMOUNTS
    IN ONE COLUMN WITH AMOUNTS IN OTHER COLUMN AND THEN ELIMINATE BOTH COLUMNS
    LEAVING ME WITH THE UNMATCHED AMOUNTS IN BOTH COLUMNS - I AM USING EXCEL 98

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: HOW DO MATCH AND ELIMINATE AMOUNTS IN TWO COLUMNS IN EXCEL

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:32:03 -0700, "SNOWBREEZE3"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I HAVE EXPORTED A G/L ACCOUNT FROM ACCPAC TO EXCEL AND WISH TO MATCH AMOUNTS
    >IN ONE COLUMN WITH AMOUNTS IN OTHER COLUMN AND THEN ELIMINATE BOTH COLUMNS
    >LEAVING ME WITH THE UNMATCHED AMOUNTS IN BOTH COLUMNS - I AM USING EXCEL 98

    What are you trying to match. The GL account codes or the amounts?

    It sounds like you have columns A & B with GL Codes and Values
    respectively, and ditto with columns C & D, and that you're trying to
    check which code values in B & D don't agree.

    Checkout VLOOKUP in the Help, it's the most widely used function for
    this type of stuff.

    Insert a column between B & C and in C1 enter the formula

    =If(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E1000,2,false)),0,VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E1000,2,false))-B1

    and copy down

    Similarly in F1 enter

    =If(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B1000,2,false)),0,VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B1000,2,false))-E1

    and copy down

    Where you have non zero values in C & F it means the code values don't
    match. Sort A:C on column C and delete the cells in A:C where C=0 ,
    similarly sort D:F on column F and delete cells in D:F where F=0

    HTH
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK