Need open ended cell for Sum range.

  1. #1
    Cris B.
    Guest

    Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    I have numerical data in column A rows 1:14.

    I'm adding it up in row 15. Sum=(A1:A14)

    Now I've been asked to insert more rows with data above row A14.

    What can I put in my Sum formula in place of A14 so when I insert
    a new row, any numerical data above it in column A automatically adds up?
    Sum=(A1:????)

    I don't want to have to go and change it to sum=(A1:A17) if I
    insert 3 rows.... I have a huge file to create with sections like this. User
    may have to insert new rows. They need to all add up.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    If you goto Tools>Options>Edit and check the Extend list formats and
    formulas box, it should work automatically..

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:33:16 -0700, "Cris B." <Cris
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I have numerical data in column A rows 1:14.
    >
    >I'm adding it up in row 15. Sum=(A1:A14)
    >
    >Now I've been asked to insert more rows with data above row A14.
    >
    >What can I put in my Sum formula in place of A14 so when I insert
    >a new row, any numerical data above it in column A automatically adds up?
    >Sum=(A1:????)
    >
    > I don't want to have to go and change it to sum=(A1:A17) if I
    >insert 3 rows.... I have a huge file to create with sections like this. User
    >may have to insert new rows. They need to all add up.

    =SUM(A1:INDIRECT("A"&ROW()-1))

    will work, but perhaps a more normal arrangement would be to have a
    blank row between your total and the last numeric data item and
    include the blank row in your Sum range. That way you can always
    insert a new row in the blank row and have the range expand
    automatically.
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    Hi Cris

    Providing the insertion is made between rows 1 and 14, the formula will
    expand automatically to include the widened range.
    If the user choose to highlight row 15, then the formula will not adjust.
    There are numerous ways of overcoming this.
    You could put your formula on row 16 and make it =SUM(A1:A15) and in row
    15 Format>Cells>Alignment>Horizontal>Fill.
    Typing an = sign in the cell will fill it with ======== to indicate that
    this is the row being totaled to.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    One way

    =SUM(OFFSET(INDIRECT("A1"),,,COUNT(A:A)-1,))

    this assumes there are no numbers below the sum formula

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:44:16 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you goto Tools>Options>Edit and check the Extend list formats and
    >formulas box, it should work automatically..

    Thanks Bob, That's one I hadn't spotted although it's selected in my
    Excel application.

    One problem is that while it extends the formats of rows above, it
    won't extend any formulae. Am I missing something?

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    Hi
    >If the user choose to highlight row 15, then the formula will not adjust.

    should have read
    If the user chose to highlight row 15, and inserted at this point, then
    the formula will not adjust.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    Hi Richard,

    I am not sure exactly what you refer to. Could you clarify for me?

    Bob

    "Richard Buttrey" <[email protected]> wrote in

  9. #9
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    Hi Bob,

    Yes, I have A1:A10 populated with some data and formatted say Red.
    B1:B10 has formulae =A1 etc.

    A11 has =Sum(A1:A10), copied into B11.

    I understood your reply to indicate that introducing a new row at A11,
    with the "Extend List Formats & Formulas" ticked, would copy the
    formatting and formulae from the row above.

    The red formatting certainly gets copied, but not the formula in B10.

    Rgds

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:47:55 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Richard,
    >
    >I am not sure exactly what you refer to. Could you clarify for me?
    >
    >Bob
    >

    >"Richard Buttrey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:44:16 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >If you goto Tools>Options>Edit and check the Extend list formats and
    >> >formulas box, it should work automatically..

    >> Thanks Bob, That's one I hadn't spotted although it's selected in my
    >> Excel application.
    >>
    >> One problem is that while it extends the formats of rows above, it
    >> won't extend any formulae. Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >> __
    >> Richard Buttrey
    >> Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    >> __________________________

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need open ended cell for Sum range.

    Roger,

    What I meant was that if you enter a row above B11, and then enter a value
    in the new B11, the old B11 (now B12 - this is getting confusing )
    automatically updates to reflect that row.

    Odd thing is, it doesn't work with formulae directly, in the instance you
    state, it updates by adding a value in A11. If the formula in B1 was =C1+D1
    etc., it updates when the values are added to C11 AND D11.

    Regards