Formula is entered but will not display result

  1. #1

    Formula is entered but will not display result

    This is elementary, I think, and I know it's happened to me before but I can't remember what the problem was. I have a simple formula:

    ='Different Worksheet'!$R13

    The formula is copied on several worksheets, and I need to go through and update the row number. It displays the result of the above until I change the row number, and then it displays the actual formula instead of the result. Any idea why it won't pull the result??

    Perplexed,
    Amy

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Formula is entered but will not display result

    1. clear the cell
    2. format the cell as general (not text)
    3. re-type the formula (not paste)

    Excel may be treating your formula as a text string.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Formula is entered but will not display result

    make sure that the cell isnt formatted as text.
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!