How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

  1. #1
    Thomas
    Guest

    How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    I am currently creating a formula/function to insert a value in once cell
    into many cells using excel 2003 , for example: cell A1 has a value 100 000
    000, and the value is going to be inserted, into
    B1,C1,D1,E1,F1,G1,H1,I1,J1.Each cell will only have one digit only
    so B1 will have 1, C1 will have 0, D1 will have 0 and for the rest of the
    cell will have the same thing instead of whole value.I tried this thing with
    the MID function and it works as long as the source value cell is 9
    digits(filling the cell from the B1toJ1), it became my concern when I changed
    those value less then 9 digits,say 8 or 5 digits where the cell will receive
    the value are B1 to F1 if 5 digits or B1 to I1 if 8 digits, the rest of the
    cells are blank.
    Are there any possibilities, solutions if the inserted value can be started
    from C1 to J1 for 8 digits or F1 to J1 for 5 digits etc (less than 9 digits)
    instead of B1 to I1 (8 digits) or B1 to F1 for 5 digits?
    It would be great help and apprecition for any solution from you
    thanks
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    One way:

    In B1 enter:
    =IF(ISERROR(MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1)),"",MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1))
    and copy across to J1.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Dear Rowan,
    I wrote the formula below as instructed but it does nothing, it just give a
    blank cell with no values at all.

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Hi Thomas

    What is the value of cell A1? Try entering 123456789 in A1 to see the
    result.

    Regards
    Rowan

  5. #5
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Rowan,

    The A1 cell's value is 125000000, I tried with the suggested number and
    still not showing any changes at all. Does the format of the cell must also
    be set into specific format such as number, text, general , etc as to make
    the formula work ?

    Thanks

    Thomas

  6. #6
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Hi Thomas

    All my cells are formatted as General and it works for me with 125000000
    in A1.

    Try inserting a new sheet, type 125000000 in A1, in B1 enter:
    =IF(ISERROR(MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1)),"",MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1))
    Then copy B1 across to J1.
    Works for me.

    Regards
    Rowan

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Perhaps you could be having text instead of numbers in A1
    (The A1 sample in your orig. post even had
    spaces in between the digit "0" !)

    Try this slight revision to Rowan's formula in B1,
    copy across to J1 as before:

    =IF(ISERROR(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0,COLUMN()-1
    +LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0)-9,1)),"",
    MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0,COLUMN()-1
    +LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0)-9,1))

    And if required, just select B1:J1 and fill down to return correspondingly
    if you have other values in A2, A3 ...
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Dear Rowan,

    Yes it works, on the new worksheet, thank you

    regards,

    Thomas

  9. #9
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Dear Rowan,

    Do you have any references (book, etc) for me to learn this kind of stuff

    Cheers

  10. #10
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Hi Thomas

    Glad I could help.

    I have some books by John Walkenbach on excel programming but nothing on
    worksheet functions. There are some good resources on the internet. Some
    that spring to mind are:
    www.cpearson.com
    www.contextures.com
    www.xldynamic.com
    www.j-walk.com

    Good luck
    Rowan

  11. #11
    Max

    "Thomas" wrote:
    > Just try to figure out why the formula shows nothing
    > (blank cell) when it is copied to another cells
    > such as L1 or AA1 (it does not show any result)

    Simply because MID(...) would return: "" (empty text)
    as the start_num* would evaluate to a figure greater
    than the length of text in A1

    *start_num part:
    ... COLUMN()-1+LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0)-9 ..

    The "max" length of the value in A1 was given in the orig. post as 9 digits,
    so the decomposition by the formula was across a max of 9 cols (from the
    starting cell B1 copied across to J1)

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  12. #12
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Hi Max,

  13. #13
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    So how to make it work on the other cell then ?

  14. #14
    Max

    "Thomas" wrote:
    > So how to make it work on the other cell then ?

    Depending on where is your new source cell, and
    where you want to decompose the digits,
    the formula could be revised/adapted to suit ..

    For example, if your "other" source cell is in say, K1,
    and you want to decompose it within say, L1-T1

    Put in L1, copy across 9 cols to T1:

    =IF(ISERROR(MID(SUBSTITUTE($K1," ","")+0,COLUMNS($K$1:K1)
    +LEN(SUBSTITUTE($K1," ","")+0)-9,1)),"",
    MID(SUBSTITUTE($K1," ","")+0,COLUMNS($K$1:K1)
    +LEN(SUBSTITUTE($K1," ","")+0)-9,1)+0)

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  15. #15
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Dear Max,

    It works
    Thank you very much indeed for your kindness help and time,
    In addition, could you kindly advise for any references especially
    book,websites, etc that it might help me to learn or mastering this kind of
    matter.
    It would be greatly appreciated for your advise and help

    Regards,

    Thomas

  16. #16
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    well.. here's a couple of links** you may want to check out ..
    (Listing is certainly *not* exhaustive, and in no particular order .. )
    **some are mentioned in Rowan's response to you

    David McRitchie's .. :
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#vbtutorials

    Debra Dalgleish's:
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    Her page: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html
    houses a remarkably comprehensive Excel book list
    to suit every taste !

    Bob Phillip's:
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.UsingMenu.html

    Chip Pearson's:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm

    J.E. McGimpsey's:
    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html

    John Walkenbach's:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm

    Tushar Mehta's:
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/

    Jon Peltier's:
    http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/

    Ron de Bruin's [Google search Add-In]:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

    And .. don't forget these wonderful excel newsgroups <bg>
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  17. #17
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    Oops ..

    > Bob Phillip's:

    should read:

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  18. #18
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

    and some updates / clarifications ..

    Jon Peltier's new homepage is at:
    http://peltiertech.com/

    Ron de Bruin's homepage is at: