Proper way to convert numbers to text

  1. #1
    Phil
    Guest

    Proper way to convert numbers to text

    I have recieved a spreadsheet from an individual, and in the column it has
    mixed data types. Some of the entries are pure numbers such as 0300559100,
    but some are numbers with a alpha character in it such as 0300A59263.

    What is the proper way to format the column? It needs to be in text format,
    not numeric. The reason, is that when I will inport it into Access, it
    cannot handle mixed data types in the same column (field).

    I've heard that you shouldn't format a column unless you have to. What
    about putting a ' character in front of all of the numbers? If that is the
    way to go, what is the quickest way in insert that ' character in each entry?

    TIA for your answers.

    Phil.

  2. #2
    Sam
    Guest

    Re: Proper way to convert numbers to text

    why wouldnt you format the column as text? - thats exactly the way to
    go to map to a text field in access

  3. #3
    Phil
    Guest

    Re: Proper way to convert numbers to text

    Tried that. Does NOT work. I could send the file in question, but don't know
    where or how.