result of formula not displaying

  1. #1
    Stupid Word User
    Guest

    result of formula not displaying

    I have a very simple search function (=SEARCH(" ",E2)) in my formula and when
    i hit enter it only displays the formula, not the result. The formula is
    right and in the preview it shows the correct value. Why will it not display
    this value?

  2. #2
    JRod
    Guest

    Re: result of formula not displaying

    The right formula is: =SEARCH(" ",E2)

    --
    JRod
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    "Stupid Word User" <[email protected]> escreveu na
    mensagem news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Stupid Word User
    Guest

    Re: result of formula not displaying

    That is what I have in the formula. I just used parentheses here. The
    formula is exactly as you show it.

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: result of formula not displaying

    It sounds like your cell may be formatted as text.
    Remove the formula, from the Format Menu Select Cells>Number>General.
    Then retype the formula.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  5. #5
    JRod
    Guest

    Re: result of formula not displaying

    Well, for me, it worked. I put Jorge Manuel in E2 and the result was 6...

    And, for a second space, worked too: I put Jorge Manuel Rod, and the result
    was 13. The formula: =SEARCH("#";SUBSTITUTE(E2;" ";"#";2)) [semi-colon is in
    Portugal...]
    regards.