Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

  1. #1

    Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Hi:
    When I use this formula -

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D9,$A$2:$B$15,2,FALSE)),,(VLOOKUP(D9,$A$2:$B$15,2,FALSE)))
    The cell return is 0.

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D9,$A$2:$B$15,2,FALSE)),"
    ",(VLOOKUP(D9,$A$2:$B$15,2,FALSE)))
    The cell return is BLANK.

    What I want is for the current cell data to remain, if the
    "IF<ISNA<VLOOKUP" function is TRUE instead of the notorious #NA, Blank,
    and "0" returns.

    What should I do?
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Jay

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Hi

    What do you mean with 'What I want is for the current cell data to remain,
    ....'?

    You can have in cell either a value or a formula. And the formula returns a
    value only to cell where it resides. To make it short - whenever you enter a
    formula into some cell, the previous entry there is lost after first
    character is typed into!

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    The current cell data is the result of the formula, ant previous value has
    been over-written.

    RP

  4. #4
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Ok. Maybe I should clarify.

    My requirement is -
    I have two spreadsheets (SS1 & SS2) with, say, two columns (A & B)
    each.

    My source list is SS1-Columns A&B.
    My target list is SS2-Columns A&B.

    I'd like to lookup items in target SS2-Col A in source SS1-Col A and if
    there is a match
    - REPLACE target SS2-Col B with source SS1- Col B.
    If there is NO match
    - Leave target SS2-Col B alone without replacing it with blank, 0 or
    #NA.

    I was typing the IF<ISNA<VLOOKUP formula (in previous email) in the
    target SS2-Col B cell and expecting it to either REPLACE or retain the
    previous value it had before the formula was typed - bummer.

    Well, if I can't use this formula to do that, How could I do this?
    - Thanks

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Hi

    This is exactly what we both did say. You can have in column SS2!B:B either
    VLOOKUP formula, or previous value. But not both!

    Maybe 3rd column will do for you - where the value from sheet SS1 is
    displayed, when such is present, or the value from column B is displayed,
    when no matching entry exists in SS1!A:A. Like
    C2=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,SS1!$A$2:$B$100,2,0)),B2,VLOOKUP(A2,SS1!$A$2:$B$100
    ,2,0))
    NB! You can't have this formula in column B !!!

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Arvi:
    Your suggestion to place the formula in SS2:Col 3 worked like a charm
    except that when I drag the formula down the row, the cells
    automatically get written with the current value in Col B.

    The matching value from SS1Col B is written ONLY if I do a search in
    that spreadsheet to look for SS2ColA value - defeating the whole
    purpose!

    Please help!
    Thanks, Jay

  7. #7
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Leave cell data (IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP) is TRUE instead of returning blank (" ") or #NA

    Hi

    Post your formula from some cell here - p.e. the one working, and the nex
    one (not working). Probably your range references are wrong (relative vs.
    absolute reference)