What is wrong with this formula?

  1. #1
    scott45
    Guest

    What is wrong with this formula?

    The following formula shoud give an answer of 178. I think I am placing the
    parenthesis in the wrong position. If you can help it is greatly appreciated.
    The answer I get is 308669

    =(((F22*71449)*0.4)+16147/C22)

    Cell-F22 number is 1826
    71449 is a constant number
    0.4 is a constant number
    16147 is a constant number
    Cell-C22 is 10.8

    Thank you Scott

  2. #2
    Lee Harris
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    "scott45" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The following formula shoud give an answer of 178. I think I am placing
    > the
    > parenthesis in the wrong position. If you can help it is greatly
    > appreciated.
    > The answer I get is 308669
    >
    > =(((F22*71449)*0.4)+16147/C22)
    >
    > Cell-F22 number is 1826
    > 71449 is a constant number
    > 0.4 is a constant number
    > 16147 is a constant number
    > Cell-C22 is 10.8
    >
    > Thank you Scott

    On what basis do you think you should be getting the answer 178?

    if F22 is 1826, then F22*71449 is 130,465,874 (over 130 million)

    Even if you've got your 2nd bit wrong, dividing by 16147 gives 8080 to the
    nearest whole number.

    Even if you actually meant

    (0.4*(F22*71449))/(C22*16147)

    that still gives an answer of 299 and a bit doesn't it?

    by the way, your original formula gives 52,187,845 in my spreadsheet!

  3. #3
    scott45
    Guest

    RE: What is wrong with this formula?--correction in numbers

  4. #4
    Lee Harris
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    "scott45" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The following formula shoud give an answer of 178. I think I am placing
    > the
    > parenthesis in the wrong position. If you can help it is greatly
    > appreciated.
    > The answer I get is 308669
    >
    > =(((F22*71449)*0.4)+16147/C22)
    >
    > Cell-F22 number is 1826
    > 71449 is a constant number
    > 0.4 is a constant number
    > 16147 is a constant number
    > Cell-C22 is 10.8
    >
    > Thank you Scott

    The closest I could get to your number 178 was replacing the original * with
    a ^

    =((F22*71449)^0.4)+16147 which gives 17909.78....

    if you were dividing by something close to 100 (100.6 or something), it
    would give around 178, so maybe your C22 is the wrong value?

    =(((F22*71449)^0.4)+16147)/C22 (gives 178 only if C22 is 100.6ish

  5. #5
    scott45
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Lee

    Look at my second post I had two numbers turned around
    10.8*71449=71649
    71649*.4=308659
    308659+16147=324806
    324806/1826=177.87

    Thanks Scott

  6. #6
    scott45
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Lee

    Check previous post
    I can get the correct answer by figuring part of the problem in a different
    cell but I really did not want to do it that way.

    Thanks Scott

  7. #7
    Lee Harris
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    "scott45" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lee
    >
    > Look at my second post I had two numbers turned around
    > 10.8*71449=71649
    > 71649*.4=308659
    > 308659+16147=324806
    > 324806/1826=177.87
    >
    > Thanks Scott
    >
    > "Lee Harris" wrote:

    What you want then is this, (isn't that what you had originally. It worked
    for me when I put 1826 in C22 and 10.8 in F22

    =((0.4*(F22*71449))+16147)/C22

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Hi

    Try
    =((F22*71449*0.4)+16147)/C22
    It returns 177.8788

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  9. #9
    scott45
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Thanks so much Roger. I knew it would be just the position of the () I just
    couldnt get it Thanks again.

    Scott

  10. #10
    scott45
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Roger

    One other thing. I show a value error when there is no info in the cells I
    use. Is it possible to hide the value error?

    thanks Scott

  11. #11
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: What is wrong with this formula?

    Hi Scott

    Try
    =IF(C22>0,((F22*71449*0.4)+16147)/C22,"")

    The lack of info in cell F22 won't cause a problem as it will return 0 after
    the multiplication, but the lack of a value in C22 would cause a divide by
    zero error. The formula above will trap for this.

    Regards

    Roger Govier