Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted inflo

  1. #1
    Pro - Land
    Guest

    Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted inflo

    Hi to all, The problem is I cannot get a real rate of return for my problem.
    I am presented with an initial value at the beginning of year one, an annual
    investment that is stepped 3% each year for inflation and the amount at the
    conclusion of the final period.

    The canned =RATE formula does not account for anything but a constant inflow
    amount. Is there anyone who can provide a solution

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted inflo

    Yes we can provide a solution, but we need to know what the problem is.

    My guess is you're looking for the XIRR function. It will handle varying cash
    flows. Subtract the rate of inflation from XIRR's result to get the real return.

    If your problem is to calculate the real rate of return given inflation at 3%,
    you could still use Rate with a constant PMT (the first cash flow), and FV as
    the final amount discounted by 3% per year.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pro - Land
    Guest

    Re: Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted i

    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. Let me provide an example the
    scenario I am looking at.

    Assume $50,000 starting balance.
    First year contribution $3,325 increasing 3% annually to $5,830 contribution
    in year 20.
    Amount accumulated at the end of 20 years: $251,000

    ROR: ?

    This problem seems like a simple proposition. It has, however caused alot of
    trial and error around the office and many an attempt at resolution has
    caused staff who thought they knew Excel well to be taken aback. Your help
    would be greatly appreciated.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted i

    It seems like what you want is the IRR formula, since the returns are made at
    equal times:

    Set up a column of numbers:

    B2: =50000
    B3: =3325
    B4: =A3*1.03
    copy/drag to B20
    B21: =-251000 (note the minus sign)

    Formula: =IRR(B2:B23) --> 4.1055% with your data

    Note -- as set up the payments are assumed to be made at the end of each
    period, and the funds withdrawn one year after the last payment.

    Changes in these assumptions will change the results.

    ====================================

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:42:16 -0800, "Pro - Land"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. Let me provide an example the
    >scenario I am looking at.
    >
    >Assume $50,000 starting balance.
    >First year contribution $3,325 increasing 3% annually to $5,830 contribution
    >in year 20.
    >Amount accumulated at the end of 20 years: $251,000
    >
    >ROR: ?
    >
    >This problem seems like a simple proposition. It has, however caused alot of
    >trial and error around the office and many an attempt at resolution has
    >caused staff who thought they knew Excel well to be taken aback. Your help
    >would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    >"Fred Smith" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes we can provide a solution, but we need to know what the problem is.
    >>
    >> My guess is you're looking for the XIRR function. It will handle varying cash
    >> flows. Subtract the rate of inflation from XIRR's result to get the real return.
    >>
    >> If your problem is to calculate the real rate of return given inflation at 3%,
    >> you could still use Rate with a constant PMT (the first cash flow), and FV as
    >> the final amount discounted by 3% per year.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Fred
    >>

    >> "Pro - Land" <Pro - [email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Hi to all, The problem is I cannot get a real rate of return for my problem.
    >> > I am presented with an initial value at the beginning of year one, an annual
    >> > investment that is stepped 3% each year for inflation and the amount at the
    >> > conclusion of the final period.
    >> >
    >> > The canned =RATE formula does not account for anything but a constant inflow
    >> > amount. Is there anyone who can provide a solution

    --ron

  5. #5
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Real RATE of return using =RATE illusive, inflation adjusted i

    I agree with Ron's calculation of ROR. If you want the real rate of return, it's
    the nominal rate minus the inflation rate, eg 4.1055% - 3% = 1.1055%

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...