how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

  1. #1
    asuncionw
    Guest

    how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
    would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
    firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1 lastname,
    col2 firstname.

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    have a look at :
    data
    text to columns

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Michl
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    You could also do a Find/Replace.

  4. #4
    asuncionw
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    Note, Doe,John is in one column, 100 different names will carry the comma in
    different places. This will not work but thanks anyway.

  5. #5
    asuncionw
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    This would help me if no formula or function is available. Thanks John.

  6. #6
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    You can use the comma as the delimiter.
    Have a go

  7. #7
    asuncionw
    Guest

    RE: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    I will try that and I think it should work. Thanks Bill.

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:17:11 -0800, asuncionw
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
    >would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
    >firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1 lastname,
    >col2 firstname.

    =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",", "))

    Note the space after the second quoted comma.

    The TRIM function is there just in case any of the imported names should happen
    to have a space after the comma, so as not to have 2 spaces there.

    --ron

  9. #9
    asuncionw
    Guest

    Re: how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

    Ron, it works too, thanks to you, Bill and John. Now I have 3 options.