How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

  1. #1
    Satraj
    Guest

    How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    Say if I had the folloing data in column A1:A3 and I try to enter 300 in A4
    again, using data validation I want to be able to be stopped from entering
    that value again.
    Column A

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    Hi

    Set the range of cells you want to apply Data Validation and choose Custom
    and enter the following in the white pane.
    =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<=1

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Satraj
    Guest

    RE: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    What I mean is it seems to work for all of column A by using data validation
    and custom =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<2. But if I want to do a section of the columna
    say A50:A60 I can't get it to work.

  4. #4
    Mladen_Dj
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    In Data Validation dialog select "Custom", and enter formula:

    =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Mladen_Dj
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    If you want to use range in column, put the absolute address for range
    ($A$50:$A$60), so your formula should look like:

    =COUNTIF($A$50:$A$60,A50)=1

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    Hi

    You need to make the values Absolute if you are not using whole of column.
    =COUNTIF($A$50:$A$60,A50)<2

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7
    Satraj
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    Thankyou both there was a technical hitch.

  8. #8
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: How do you Stop Entering Duplicate Data in a Column?

    Let's say you want to do data validation in cells A1:A100.

    Select those cells from A1 to A100.

    On the data validation entry, select Custom and enter

    =countif(A1:A$1,A1)=1

    Enter the appropriate error alert.

    If it were me, I'd probably change the color of the cells that are being
    validated so that I'd know it was there.