conditioning

  1. #1
    DONNA
    Guest

    conditioning

    I have a spreadsheet. I need a cell to turn
    yellow is date is on target,
    green if date is ahead of target date
    RED if date is past target date.
    AND I NEED THE CELL TO STAY WHITE IF I DO NOT PUT A DATE IN CELL.
    It seems to me that I need four conditions. PLEASE HELP IMMEDIATELY. THANKS

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    Assuming your cell is B2 and the target date is in A2. Use "Formula is" and
    enter

    for on target
    =AND(B2<>"",B2=A2)
    for ahead
    =AND(B2<>"",B2<A2)
    for past
    =AND(B2<>"",B2>A2)

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: conditioning

    You actually get an implicit fourth condition, which is 'none of the above'.
    As long as your three conditions are specified such that they're not
    satisfied when no date is entered, you should be fine. That probably means
    you can't use a strict 'less than' condition; you'd have to use 'between'
    instead.
    --Bruce

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    I agree. This simplifies the formulae I posted. I had forgotten that it is
    not necessary to check for a blank cell for the on target and past target
    dates, reducing these to

    for on target
    =B2=A2
    for past
    =B2>A2

    For ahead, use Cell value is>between and use 1 and A2 as the limits.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    =AND(ISNUMBER(B2),B2>A2)

    Permits text entries in normal color and late dates in red.

    RD

  6. #6
    DONNA
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    I have:

    E3 F3 G3
    Start Date Target date Completion date
    1/01/05 1/30/05 2/01/05 (cell red,
    after target)

    WHEN I ENTER TARGET DATE, G3 TURNS GREEN. I NEED G3 TO "ONLY" TURN A COLOR
    "IF" A DATE IS ENTERED IN G3. THE DATE ENTERED IN G3 WILL DETERMINE WHAT
    COLOR G3 WILL BE.
    AGAIN, PROBLEM IS: G3 TURNS A COLOR WHEN I ENTER DATE IN F3. I WANT G3 TO BE
    "NO" COLOR UNTIL A DATE IS ENTERED.

  7. #7
    DOR
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    Use the following conditions:

    =G3>F3 -->red
    =G3=F3) -->yellow
    =AND(G3<>"",G3<F3) -->green

    You might also use data validation on the date fields to ensure that
    only dates are entered in them ...

  8. #8
    DONNA
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    Thanks DOR,
    I hope this formula works. SHOULD I TYPE THE WORDS RED IN THE FORMULA OR ARE
    YOU TELLING ME TO MAKE THE FORMAT RED, YELLOW GREEN?????

  9. #9
    DONNA
    Guest

    Re: conditioning

    THANKS A BUNCH. THIS FORMULA WORKED PERFECT. YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER.