##value error

  1. #1
    Sue
    Guest

    ##value error

    Can someone please help me with an error message for the following formulas:
    =IF(I2="",0,(DATEDIF(I2,TODAY(),"Y")>=3)+0)
    =IF(I2="",0,(DATEDIF(I2,TODAY(),"Y")<=2)+0)
    It has only come up on this one computer. It's fine on all others. Have
    checked the computer's date based on a suggestion but the date is correct.
    Can anyone please help?
    Sue

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Sue

    You would be better keeping your posting in the same thread.
    That way, other people can see the answers that have been offered so far, an
    prevent duplication of effort.

    It sounds as though you have checked the other 2? computers (as per your
    original posting) but one is till returning the error.
    The date for today() is correct.
    The values in I2 is definitely before today().
    It is a 0 (zero) at the end of the formula, and not a capital "O"?

    Your formula works absolutely fine for me, and I cannot think of other
    possibilities, but others might. Hopefully the foregoing will bring others
    up to speed on where we have got to thus far.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:56:10 -0800, Sue <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can someone please help me with an error message for the following formulas:
    >=IF(I2="",0,(DATEDIF(I2,TODAY(),"Y")>=3)+0)
    >=IF(I2="",0,(DATEDIF(I2,TODAY(),"Y")<=2)+0)
    >It has only come up on this one computer. It's fine on all others. Have
    >checked the computer's date based on a suggestion but the date is correct.
    >Can anyone please help?
    >Sue

    Check the regional settings (Start/Control Panel/Regional and Language
    settings) and be sure the date format for that setting is the same as the date
    format that is being used for data ENTRY into I2.

    Certain entries may look like perfectly normal dates, but if the computer
    (Windows Control Panel --- NOT EXCEL) is set to a different format, it cannot
    be interpreted as a date by Excel and you will get the VALUE error.

    For example, 12/13/2004 is a perfectly valid date with US settings (mm/dd/yyyy)
    but would be invalid with UK settings (dd/mm/yyyy) since there is no 13th
    month.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Roger,
    My apologies. I presumed that as I had got no reply to my last post that I
    had to start again with a new thread. Reasonably new at this. There is only
    one computer that is not responding like it should as per my first posting.
    The "two" is the no. of columns with the formula. I rang the people with the
    problem PC and they confirmed that the date was for today based on your
    suggestion.
    Based on Ron's reply to this thread, I will need to travel out there and
    take a visual look at what is going on.
    Many thanks.
    Sue

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Sue

    In addition to Ron's suggestions, I was also thinking about Text entries.
    Are the dates in I2 true dates, or text values looking like dates?
    A simple test in a blank cell of =I2+1 would resolve this, and I guess could
    be carried out over the phone rather than a visit - if it's not too late!!

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:39:52 +0000, Roger Govier
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Sue
    >
    >In addition to Ron's suggestions, I was also thinking about Text entries.
    >Are the dates in I2 true dates, or text values looking like dates?
    >A simple test in a blank cell of =I2+1 would resolve this, and I guess could
    >be carried out over the phone rather than a visit - if it's not too late!!
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Roger Govier

    Did you try that?

    On my system (Excel 2002), text entries that are otherwise legal dates will get
    handled correctly by Sue's formulas.

    --ron

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Ron

    Yes I did, and found(to my surprise) that it worked with just the single
    quote in front of the date (XL2003).
    However, I then also inserted a space, after the single quote, and it failed
    so I thought it worthwhile suggesting that Sue tested the validity of her
    date entries in I2.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Roger,
    Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately the business is closed for the weekend
    so will try to follow up on Monday afternoon. All good ideas from you and
    Ron.
    Thanks heaps
    Sue

  9. #9
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Ron,
    Your suggestion is a good point as in NZ we use dd/mm/yy for date format and
    the computers I think have a default on purchasing of US dates so it may well
    be the answer that they may not have changed the setting to NZ.
    Thanks for the help. Can't get it checked now until Monday afternoon as it
    is now the weekend. Will let both you and Roger know how I go.
    Thanks heaps
    Sue

  10. #10
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Ron,
    Your answer was exactly right. I shot out there first thing yesterday
    morning (Monday) and found their setting was for English (US) and it is now
    running beautifully. Thanks for the help. Sometimes the most obvious things
    are the last things I think of.
    Many thanks
    Sue

  11. #11
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: ##value error

    Hi Roger,
    I shot out to the site first thing yesterday morning (Monday) and found that
    the settings were in fact English(US). Having changed that to English (NZ),
    it is now running beautifully. Thanks so much for your help
    Sue

  12. #12
    Roger Govier
    Guest