Linked Combo Boxes

  1. #1
    LRobinson3
    Guest

    Linked Combo Boxes

    Is it possible to link two combo boxes so that your selection in the first
    box limits the amount of information you have available in the second box?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor Lotus123's Avatar
    Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    Okay, this isn't very elegant, but it worked.

    I did four columns...A-D...don't ask why I skipped C
    A B C D
    Colors Things 3
    Purple =IF($D$1=3,"Grass","") 1
    Blue =IF($D$1=3,"Eggs","")
    Green =IF($D$1=2,"Sky","")
    =IF($D$1=2,"Moon","")
    =IF($D$1=1,"Rain","")
    =IF($D$1=1,"People","")

    I created a combo box on the data in A. The resut is in D1. Depending on the value of D1, certain items will appear in column B.

    I then created a combo box for column B with the value in D2.

    Problem - You get a lot of blank spaces in the second combo box. Workaround for that problem? I created a macro to sort Column B in descending order. I set the First Combo box to run that macro every time the combo box changes. I then changed the Second Comob box to use on B2:B3. It works...but you will want to merge D1 and D2 together to get a "for sure" value of what the final result is.

    Not elegant...but it will get the job done.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor Lotus123's Avatar
    Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    Bleck...not familar with this forum I guess. Not sure why but it gets rid of all of my extra spaces in my "sample data". As such, here is what it should look like...

    Column A has the three colors with the title Colors
    Column B has the title Things with all of the formulas
    Column C was empty
    Column D has the 3 and 1 in it

  4. #4
    LRobinson3