want highlight when all cells in range are equal

  1. #1
    Jane
    Guest

    want highlight when all cells in range are equal

    using conditional formatting, I want to highlight a recap cell at the top of
    the spreadsheet when all cells in the range below are equal.

    thanks!!

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: want highlight when all cells in range are equal

    Jane,
    assuming you want to highlight E1 and the range under consideration is
    E2:E10 (i.e. 9 cells),
    in conditional formatting, use Formula Is:
    =COUNTIF($E$2:$E$10,$E$2)=9

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: want highlight when all cells in range are equal

    Hi!

    Suppose A1 is the recap cell.

    The "range below" of interest is A5:A10.

    Select A1
    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: =AND(A5:A10<>"",COUNTIF(A5:A10,A5)=COUNTA(A5:A10))

    OR.......

    Do you mean if the recap cell *AND* the range below *ARE ALL EQUAL* ?

    If that's the case:

    Formula is: =AND(A5:A10<>"",A1=A5:A10)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jane

    #2 applies - thank you! short added question....

    what if I want to build in a 5 units difference meaning.. if all but 5 cells
    are equal, than highlight?

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: want highlight when all cells in range are equal

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =AND(COUNTA(A5:A20)-COUNTIF(A5:A20,A1)=5)