Count Function

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Count Function

    I am using the count function for attendance tracking of Vacation, Personal
    Time, & Sick Time. (Example: =COUNTIF($F6:$CQ6, "V")

    Problem is that, now I need to be able to do half days. I have tried many
    different formulas/ways to incorporate the half day scenario even without
    using the count function with no success.

    Do anybody have any ideas?

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    I think you're telling us you can't figure out a code for half days? I
    mean... if it's a half day vacation, why not HV? Then: =countif($F6:$CQ6,
    "V")+(countif($F6:$CQ6, "HV")*.5)
    ?
    ************
    Anne Troy
    VBA Project Manager
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nise
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    need more info. how do you represent half day in your sheet.

  4. #4
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    That worked Thx so much you have no idea how long I have spent on this.

  5. #5
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Solved the problem thx for your help.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Steve,

    The way I do this is to use an upper-case letter for a full day, lower-case
    for a half-day. SO, assuming my absence code is in A1 (upper or lower), I
    use

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND(LOWER(A2),A1:M1)))/2+ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(A2),A1
    :M1)))

    to calculate the total.

    RP

  7. #7
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    VERY cool.
    ************

  8. #8
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Anne:

    One more question for you. I also have a conditional format saying that if
    formula is =G6="v" then the cell would turn color. How would I incorporate
    that into the HV scenario?

  9. #9
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    So you want it to turn to the same color if it's V or HV?
    I think you just need to set a 2nd condition same as the first, but HV
    instead of V.
    Got me?
    ************

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Hi Steve

    =OR(G6="v",G6="hv")

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  11. #11
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    I knew it! (That's why my reply said "I think".) Thanks, Roger.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    VBA Project Manager
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Hi Anne
    I hadn't seen your response when posting, but looking at it now, you did say
    the same thing. I guess I just gave the formula rather than the reason.
    You "thunk" correctly<vbg>.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  13. #13

    Re: Count Function

    Hi Steve,

    We use a quite simple spreadsheet in 2 companies with ca. 25 employees
    each:

    http://www.sulprobil.com/html/vacation_plan.html

    HTH,
    Bernd

  14. #14
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Count Function

    Oh, no. I meant I knew there had to be a formula that would do it in one
    format, rather than using two...
    You supplied it.