Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

  1. #1
    SueB
    Guest

    Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

    Hello i am trying to figure out some basic sums but the forulas will not
    differentiate between two numbers if one begins with a 0. in other words if i
    enter the number 3 in a cell it give me the same results as if i entered a
    03. i need it to be able to diffentiate between the two as they are two
    seperate references.
    =SUMIF(B$3:B$16,"03",A$62:A$75)

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

    Don't enter them as a number (because they aren't; they are text
    references), enter them as text.
    Either format the cells as text before entering the references, or precede
    them with an apostrophe (which will not show)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SueB
    Guest

    Re: Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

    Thats the problem, the people that will be using the sheet will probably
    never be able to remember that. Is there any other way to get it to
    reference as a number?

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

    pre-format or use 00000000 as many as you need for a custom format

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software