Trying to match a text string to a data table, any suggestions?

  1. #1
    OCONUS
    Guest

    Trying to match a text string to a data table, any suggestions?

    Trying to match the first six characters of a text string to text characters
    in a data table. I'm trying to use the VLOOKUP Function, but I keep getting
    the contents of the second to last cell in my designated column. I'm having
    a problem both with truncating the text string, and also using text to search
    for things. Anyway to convert similar text characters to unique numbers?
    Looking for any suggestions

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Trying to match a text string to a data table, any suggestions?

    Are you using FALSE or 0 as lookup type? If not, that can explain it,
    otherwise post the formulas and a little bit more info on what you are
    trying to do

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    OCONUS
    Guest

    Re: Trying to match a text string to a data table, any suggestions

    I'm using TRUE because I don't have exact matches. I'm trying to figure out
    how I could get exact matches but I would need to eliminate part of the
    origional text string. For example, I'm trying to match zzz-abcdefg to the
    data source which has only zzz-abcd. Here is an example of a formula I'm
    trying:
    =VLOOKUP(P5,[DATA.xls]Sheet1!$1:$65536,6,TRUE)

    I'm also considering the OR(EXACT function as a possibility, but I'm not
    sure if I can find the corresponding data for the cell in the array that
    makes the function return TRUE.

    thanks for your help

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Trying to match a text string to a data table, any suggestions

    Is the value always the first 8 characters? If So

    =VLOOKUP(LEFT(P5,8),[DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1000,6,0)

    if the zzz-abcdefg is in the table instead of P5 and the beginning is
    always the same you can use a wildcard

    =VLOOKUP(P5&"*",[DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1000,6,0)

    I noted that you use the whole workbook 1:65536, I strongly recommend using
    something more precise if possible like in my example