Mergers - market concentration - math help

  1. #1
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Mergers - market concentration - math help

    Under Dept of Justice guidelines you have to assess a proposed merger's
    impact on market concentration. For banks, that really boils down to deposit
    market share.

    The mechanics are that you square the market share (stated in percentage
    points, not decimals) of each bank PRE-MERGER and sum the squares. Then do
    the same thing after summing the market shares of the merger candidates.

    If the sum of squares AFTER the pro forma merger is 200 points or more
    higher than the sum BEFORE the merger, deposits must be divested to bring the
    change down to the 200 level. The assumption is that the divested deposits
    go to a bank new to the market.

    I can do this with goal seek and it works very well for a single market, but
    I'm hoping there is a formulaic way of doing this that I can apply to a grid
    of markets.

    Example

    Pre-merger
    Share Sh^2
    Bank A 22 484
    Bank B 18 324
    Bank C 14 196
    Bank D 13 169
    Bank E 11 121
    Bank F 10 100
    Bank G 6 36
    Bank H 6 36

    Sum 100 1,466

    Banks C & D propose to merge

    Bank A 22 484
    Bank B 18 324
    Bank CD 27 729
    Bank E 11 121
    Bank F 10 100
    Bank G 6 36
    Bank H 6 36

    100 1,830

    Change in sum of squares is 364. Here's the goal seek solution. Note that
    the divested/reduction in market share for Bank CD gets assigned to Bank New

    Bank A 22 484
    Bank B 18 324
    Bank CD 24 553
    Bank E 11 121
    Bank F 10 100
    Bank G 6 36
    Bank H 6 36
    Bank New 3 12

    100 1,666

    Can somebody help me figure out how to do this, please. Thanks
    Duke

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    More readable tables

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: More readable tables

    If the merging banks' pre-merger shares are in cells b2 and b3, I calculate
    the share required to be divested to a new bank as
    =IF(B2*B3<=100,0,(B2+B3-(B2^2+B3^2-2*B2*B3+400)^0.5)/2). And the merged
    banks' share would be the new banks' share subtracted from b2+c2.
    Clear as mud? ;-) --Bruce

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: More readable tables

    Sorry; that last bit should be that the merged banks' share would be the new
    bank's share subtracted from b2+b3. --BP

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: More readable tables

    You have done well, Grasshopper. Thank you so much!