Is the Pivot Table the right tool to do?

  1. #1
    Rich Rosier
    Guest

    Is the Pivot Table the right tool to do?

    I would like to tabulate how many times a company is listed in a certain
    column as well as have it list all the different ways the various companies
    are listed in that column. Is the Pivot table the right tool to use?

    Example, I have a list of companies, with many dupes, in column B (because
    the names of the customers are in column A). I'm trying to determine all the
    unique companies that purchased and if multiple employees from the same
    company bought I would like to know the total from that company.

    Thanks for your help!!!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Is the Pivot Table the right tool to do?

    Yes, the pivot table should be the easiest way. When you get to the layout,
    drag Company to the 'Rows' field, then Customer to the Rows field. Drag any
    column into the data field, double-click it and change the label to Count and
    tell Excel to summarize by Count. You'll wind up with counts by customer and
    by company.
    Does that get what you want? --Bruce