Advancing Down A List

  1. #1
    Minitman
    Guest

    Advancing Down A List

    Greetings,

    I have a list of names in column A of sheet 1, I want to have a
    dynamic copy of this list in column A of sheet 2. Sheet 2 uses 3 rows
    per record and sheet one uses one row per record.
    I tried the usual A2+1 in A3 and got the #VALUE! error.

    How can I advance each record on sheet 2 so that it matches sheet 1?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    -Minitman

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Advancing Down A List

    Assuming names are listed in Sheet1, in A1 down

    In Sheet2,

    Put in the starting cell, say, A1:
    =IF(MOD(ROW(A1),3)=1,
    INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/3)+1),"")

    Copy A1 down as far as required

    The above will return the names from Sheet1 in sequence,
    interspersed with 2 blank rows in-between each name
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Advancing Down A List

    And if you're simply wanting to "triplicate" the names over from Sheet1,
    just use in the starting cell in Sheet2, and copy down:

  4. #4
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: Advancing Down A List

    Hey Max,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Does it make any difference if each set of three cells on sheet 2 are
    merged or do I need to unmerge them?

    Looking forward to your reply.

    -Minitman

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Advancing Down A List

    "Minitman" wrote:
    > .. Does it make any difference if each set of three cells
    > on sheet 2 are merged or do I need to unmerge them?

    The assumption is that no cells are merged (but of course! <g>)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: Advancing Down A List

    Hey Max,

    Thanks for the clarification.

    That part is now complete, on to the next step.....

    -Minitman

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest