Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

  1. #1
    picklet222
    Guest

    Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

    I have a running list of dates in column A, but there are some missing dates.
    There is associated data in column B. I'd like to put weekly averages
    (Week is Sunday-Sat) in column C and monthly averages in column D.

    I can't just fill down a pattern of every 7 or 30 days, because of the
    missing days and the fact that not all months have 30 days.

    Can you help me generate functions that will do this?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

    > I have a running list of dates in column A, but there are some missing
    > dates.
    > There is associated data in column B. I'd like to put weekly
    > averages
    > (Week is Sunday-Sat) in column C and monthly averages in column D.

    Try putting these in row 1 and copying down for as many rows as you need.

    C1: =IF(E1=E2,"",SUMIF(E:E,E1,B:B)/COUNTIF(E:E,E1))

    D1: =IF(F1=F2,"",SUMIF(F:F,F1,B:B)/COUNTIF(F:F,F1))

    E1: =WEEKNUM(A1)

    F1: =MONTH(A1)

    The averages appear for the last day of each week or month.

  3. #3
    picklet222
    Guest

    Re: Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

    Thank you Jay! That is exactly what I was looking for!

    Cheers,
    Heidi

  4. #4
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

    >> Try putting these in row 1 and copying down for as many rows as you
    >> need.
    >>
    >> C1: =IF(E1=E2,"",SUMIF(E:E,E1,B:B)/COUNTIF(E:E,E1))
    >>
    >> D1: =IF(F1=F2,"",SUMIF(F:F,F1,B:B)/COUNTIF(F:F,F1))
    >>
    >> E1: =WEEKNUM(A1)
    >>
    >> F1: =MONTH(A1)
    >>
    >> The averages appear for the last day of each week or month.

    > Thank you Jay! That is exactly what I was looking for!

    Two words of caution, though.

    1. If your data spans more than 51 weeks, there'll be a problem because C1
    goes by week of a year.

    2. The calculation assumes that the week containing New Years Day is meant
    to be split in two.

    Adjustments for these potential pitfalls are straightforward. ;-)

  5. #5
    picklet222
    Guest

    Re: Function for generating monthly & weekly averages

    Yup - I just ran into that when I tried it on my full data set! I had to
    use =year(A1)&month(A1) and work with it that way to get unique months for
    each year that could then use the sumif and countif functions.

    Thanks for all your help Jay!

    Heidi