Creating a single vertical array from multiple column arrays

  1. #1
    Bryan
    Guest

    Creating a single vertical array from multiple column arrays

    I am trying to setup an end-of-day financial report that will contain
    transactions by payment method (i.e., credit card, debit card, check). I am
    creating this for my co-workers to enter what payments were made and Excel
    will do all calculations. We are having problems with human error when we
    try to balance the funds using an adding machine.

    Here is how co-workers will enter data:
    Column A = Credit card payments
    Column B = Debit card payments
    Column C = Check payments

    These need to be placed into a single column and have some sort of divide
    between payment method for easy printing. I tried VLOOKUP, but that didn't
    seem to work. Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

  2. #2
    Bryan
    Guest

    RE: Creating a single vertical array from multiple column arrays

    Can anyone help me out with this, please? It's rather important.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Creating a single vertical array from multiple column arrays

    Hopefully, this isn't too late to implement....

    I think I'd change the input area from 3 pmt type columns to only one with
    Data Validation:

    Example:
    Select the cells in the Pmt Type range (assuming Col_A)
    Data>Data Validation>
    Allow: List
    Source: Credit,Debit,Check
    Click [OK]

    Benefits:
    1)Less data entry hopping around...possibly enteriing amounts in wrong columns
    -->Note: Teach entry staff to [Alt]+[Down arrow] to display dropdown items,
    then arrow up/down to select, so no mouse clicks would be
    necessary...speeding input.
    2)Easier to analyze
    3)Visually easier to confirm that a pmt was assigned the correct type

    Then...you've got a couple options
    You could set up a Pivot Table to summarize the data by date/pmt type, etc
    OR
    You could still use the 3 columns...just put equations in them like:
    C2: =IF(A2="Credit",B2,"")
    D2: =IF(A2="Debit",B2,"")
    E2: =IF(A2="Check",B2,"")

    Does that give you anything you can work with?

    Regards,
    Ron