retain formatting as an actual value

  1. #1
    Terri
    Guest

    retain formatting as an actual value

    Hello,
    I have a cell value formatted as Accounting 0000000000 (10 places). How can
    I convert this formatted value to an actual text value? Example: A1 is
    actually 2525, but appears as 0000002525. I want to have B1 have an actual
    text value of '0000002525.

    Thank you!
    Terri

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: retain formatting as an actual value

    See if this works for you:
    format the cells as Text

    Format>Cells>Number tab
    Category: TEXT

    Then, anything you type into those cells will be treated as text.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: retain formatting as an actual value

    I'm sorry....my fault for not clarifying.

    The cell contents will still be 2525...formatting won't change that.
    But, here's something to try:
    A1: 2525
    B1: =TEXT(A1,"0000000000")

    Then Copy B1
    Select A1
    Edit>Paste Special>Values

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Terri

  5. #5
    Terri
    Guest

    RE: retain formatting as an actual value

    Yes, your formula works great! Thanks a million!