how to cover the formula

  1. #1
    Lawrence
    Guest

    how to cover the formula

    hi,

    could anyone tell me how to cover the formula in the column, so that people
    unable see what the formula i have put in.

    thanks in advance...

    Lawrence

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: how to cover the formula

    Have you tried :
    Format>Cells>Protection
    Checked: Locked and Hidden

    When you protect the sheet, users won't be able to see the formula or change
    it.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Lawrence
    Guest

    RE: how to cover the formula

    Ron,

    i couldn't find the Locked and hidden... i just able to see the Protection
    only...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how to cover the formula

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Hit CTRL A
    Goto Format>Cells>Protection tab
    Uncheck Locked
    OK

    Now, select the cells with the formulas that you want protected.
    Goto Format>Cells>Protection tab
    Check Locked
    Check Hidden
    OK

    Now, protect the sheet
    Goto Tools>Protection>Protect sheet.

    Depending on which version of Excel you are using, there are various options
    for protection. Choose the ones you want .

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: how to cover the formula

    That would hide the result but the formula would still be visible in the
    formula bar.

    Regards
    Rowan

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Rowan,
    Yeah, you are correct. The cell still has to be hidden, through Format>Protection>Hidden.
    Sorry for any confusion.
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Drummond

    Desert Piranha wrote:
    > Lawrence Wrote:
    >
    >>hi,
    >>
    >>could anyone tell me how to cover the formula in the column, so that
    >>people
    >>unable see what the formula i have put in.
    >>
    >>thanks in advance...
    >>
    >>LawrenceHi Lawrence,

    > Another way is custom format the cells with ;;; that is three
    > semicolons.
    > Format>Cells>Custom> key in ;;; click Ok
    > Then protect the sheet.

    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how to cover the formula

    Lawrence

    Did you click on the Format>Cells>Protection tab to get a list of options?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP