how to sort date in excel

  1. #1
    pusimani
    Guest

    how to sort date in excel

    I have created a data in excel in which one column contains data. I want to
    sort the data with respect to the dates entered in the column. It does sort
    but the dates are neither in ascending or in descending order. the sorting is
    based on the rules of sort in excel. I need the sorting out by date.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: how to sort date in excel

    Hi

    If the dates are recognised Excel dates, they will sort correctly. It sounds
    like yours are not, though. Post a sample bit of data to show what
    information you have in the cells.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Cathy
    Guest

    RE: how to sort date in excel

    Highlight all of the columns that you want to be part of your sort (date,
    amount, etc) and include your column headings. While the columns are
    hightlighted, go to Data/Sort on your main toolbar. You are allowed to sort
    by three levels. Select the columns you want to sort by and if you want them
    ascending or descending. Click the Okay button. If you are not happy with
    the results click Undo and try again.