count records meeting three criteria

  1. #1
    Laura
    Guest

    count records meeting three criteria

    I am using DCOUNTA to count "records" (rows) in an Excel spreadsheet using
    three criteria:
    Type ="=Order"
    Date >=12/1/2005
    Date <=12/19/2005

    This works fine; however, I want to be able to use a reference to a cell
    containing the date, rather than having to enter the date in the DCOUNT
    criteria cells. Something like:
    Type ="=Order"
    Date >=$B$1
    Date <=$C$1
    where B1 contains the start date and C1 contains the end date.

    It works if I use Date =$B$1, but it won't do greater than or equal to $B$1.

    Suggestions using DCOUNT or any other method would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: count records meeting three criteria

    Hi,

    You may try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter). The data is in
    range A2:B4

    12/12/1991 12
    15/01/1992 13
    21/01/1992 12

    =SUM(IF((A2:A4>=A2)*(A2:A4<=A4),B2:B4))

  3. #3
    Laura
    Guest

    RE: count records meeting three criteria

    Let me clarify:
    The data is in range A4:G400. I want to be able to put two dates at the top
    of the spreadsheet in cells B1 and C1 to use in my query. (Basically, I want
    to make it easy for an end-user to just type in the dates in one spot to be
    used in several separate formulas that use DCOUNTA.)

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: count records meeting three criteria

    Use

    =">="&B1

    and

    ="<="&C1

    note that it will display the dates serial number in the cell itself (number
    of days since Jan 0 1900) which may confuse your users so you can insert the
    text function as well

    =">="&TEXT(B1,"mm/dd/yy")

    and

    ="<="&TEXT(C1,"mm/dd/yy")

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Laura
    Guest

    Re: count records meeting three criteria

    It isn't working. With =">="&B1, it just returns 0. (The correct number in
    this case should be 11.)

    Here is more information:
    B1 =12/1/2005
    C1 =12/19/2005
    A58 =DCOUNTA(Cases!$A$1:$G$897,"Case Number",A53:C54)
    A53 Order {field name}
    A54 ="=Notice" {value in field Order}
    B53 Order Date {field name}
    B54 =">="&B1
    C53 Order Date {field name}
    C54 ="<="&C1

    This works if I use:
    B54 >=12/1/2005
    C54 <=12/19/2005

    Thanks for your help! I am completely baffled by why this isn't working.

  6. #6

    Re: count records meeting three criteria

    In cells B1 and C1, it appears that you've typed in the equals sign
    before the date. If you remove those, your formula should work fine.