Terminal Digits

  1. #1
    Cheryl B
    Guest

    Terminal Digits

    I work in a hospital and have occasion to create lists requiring chart
    numbers. Those familiar with medical files are familiar with terminal digits.
    Is there a way in Excel to make a list in numeric order by terminal digit?

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Terminal Digits

    I think you'd have to create a 'helper column' that had just the terminal
    digit, and sort by the terminal digit then by the full number. To capture
    that terminal digit, suppose your chart number is in A2. Then in B2, you
    could use =mod(a2,10) to get the final digit from the number (if your
    'numbers' are really text, use =right(a2,1) instead of the mod function).
    Autofill that formula through the entire column.
    HTH. --Bruce