years change to current year

  1. #1
    nwg
    Guest

    years change to current year

    When copying data with a column of dates to another worksheet the year will
    change to the current year instead of the year the (row) data represents.
    The 11/04 or Nov-04 (or any previous year) becomes 11/05 or Nov-05. Also
    this nor the numeric dates format seems to work between Quatro and Excel. I
    need to keep the month and year that was originally input in order to sort
    data by month and year and to combine monthly data from previous years work.

  2. #2
    Sorry, I cannot duplicate your results. Can you post your original spreadsheet using excelforum.com?

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: years change to current year

    First make sure that the dates that you have are what you think they are

    A1: 11/04 or Nov-04
    B1: =A1 format as ddd mm dd, yyyy

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    nwg
    Guest

    Re: years change to current year

    If I input 11/04 as a date and change the date format to Nov-04 it will
    become Nov-06. It does not recognize previous years so I probably need to
    somehow stop the recalculation of the date. Or I need to input my date
    (month/year) in a format that can stay the same when it is copied to another
    worksheet. I would like to keep the date shown as either "November - 2005"
    or "Nov - 2005" or "Nov-05" depending upon where it is in the worksheet.

    I have experienced this problem in Works, Quatro and Excel. I basically
    solved the problem in earlier years by switching to a text format in Works
    and combining into a database and back to a worksheet. However, I still
    experienced sort problems with the date as a text and I have be extremely
    careful.

  5. #5
    nwg
    Guest

    Re: years change to current year

    I have to combine worksheets in Works, Quatro and Excel which creates
    additional problems. I need to keep the date like this "November 2005" in
    one cell but can have other options for the column that will reference and
    copy this cell's date.

    This what I have setup. I input the date in Column B in the following format
    but I only need a single cell "A1" to repeat that date in the format
    "November 2004"

    A1: =B1 "will read" November 2004

    B1: 11/1/2004
    B2: 11/1/2004
    B3: 11/1/2004
    B4: etc., etc.
    Column B is the corresponding date for the month I am working. The rows
    each contain data that I need sorted by Column B at year end. At year end I
    have 12 months that have data for each corresponding payee. I can sort the
    data fine after converting formulas to values (This may be the problem). The
    problem begins when I try to copy and paste from one worksheet to another to
    combine 10/04, 11/04 data with 1/05, 2/05, 3/05 data. As of today it will
    all convert to "month/2006"

    The date formats I am using will not paste without updating the month to the
    current year. So obviously I am formating wrong for what I need.

    0

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: years change to current year

    I still expect a problem with the base date and representation, but try this -- hopefully
    the program will provide more information upon installation.

    Download details: Quattro Pro 7.0 Converter for Excel 2000 Users
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN

    Spreadsheet Year 2000 issues
    http://www.sysmod.com/y2ksprds.htm

    ---