Positioning Numeric Values Resulting from 6 Column Array Formula

  1. #1
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Positioning Numeric Values Resulting from 6 Column Array Formula

    Hi All,

    Is it possible to position/ place numeric values resulting from a six column
    array worksheet Formula?

    Sample Data - Row of results from Array Formula:
    -----Col"N"----Col"O"----Col"P"----Col"Q"----Col"R"----Col"S"
    Row4-35--------40--------62--------63----------70---------74

    The numeric values above are individually housed in Column "A" to be used as
    Numeric Labels.
    Column "D" houses the the Column Positions where the numeric values should be
    located.

    My 1st (first) blank Column after the six column array entered Formula is
    Column "T", this will always be the first column - Column Number 1.

    Sample Data - Numeric Labels and Column Numbers:
    Col"A"------------------Col"D"
    30----------------------8
    35----------------------1
    37----------------------3
    40----------------------3
    45----------------------10
    50----------------------2
    53----------------------4
    57----------------------11
    60----------------------5
    62----------------------1
    63----------------------6
    70----------------------9
    72----------------------7
    74----------------------9
    75----------------------12

    So based on the above Array Formula (Row4, Columns "N" to "S"), the 1st
    numeric value to be placed in its relevant Column is value 35. Numeric Label
    35 is located in Column "A" and Column "D" houses the Column Numbers where
    the Numeric Values should be placed. For Numeric Label 35, the Column Number
    is 1. Column "T" is the 1st column - value 35 should be placed in Column "T".
    Numeric Label 40 should be placed in the 3rd Column (counting Column "T" as 1
    - one), that is Column "V".

    Is it possible for the Formula to check the numeric values in the Array
    Formula Result (Row4, Column "N" to Column "S" 35,40,62,63,70,74) against
    their Numeric Labels in Column "A" and their Column Number in Column "D" and
    concatenate values that have the same Column Number. For example; Numeric
    Labels 35 and 62 both have 1 (one) as their Column Number and should be in
    the same Column - Column "T".

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Positioning Numeric Values Resulting from 6 Column Array Formula

    Try the following, which will place values in individual cells...

    T4, copied across and down:

    =SMALL(IF(($A$1:$A$15=$N$4:$S$4)*($B$1:$B$15=COLUMNS($T$4:T4)),$A$1:$A$15
    ),ROWS(T$4:T4))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Note that the formula will return #NUM! where the cell's column number
    doesn't have a matching value. You can use conditional formatting to
    hide them. It's the simplest and, I think, most efficient way.

    Also, I've assumed that the values in Column A are listed in ascending
    order. If this is not the case, and you want your values listed on a
    first come, first serve basis, post back. Otherwise, your values will
    be listed in ascending order, regardless of actual order.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Positioning Numeric Values Resulting from 6 Column Array Formula

    Hi Domenic,

    Thank you very much for your assistance. The Formula as explained works Great!

    >Try the following, which will place values in individual cells...

    >T4, copied across and down:

    >=SMALL(IF(($A$1:$A$15=$N$4:$S$4)*($B$1:$B$15=COLUMNS($T$4:T4)),$A$1:$A$15
    >),ROWS(T$4:T4))

    >...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Based on my original scenario: If someone could work around your Formula
    using VBA so that multiple values could be placed in one cell that would also
    be useful. I may try a Post in the Programming Forum.

    Once again, Thank you .

    Cheers
    Sam