Indirect does not recognize full server path?

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Indirect does not recognize full server path?

    I have an excel workbook linked to several other workbooks (all of which
    change names - i.e. a date indexing: filename_date.xls). They also live on
    different servers, so I am trying to set the full server names
    \\server\folder\etc. If I use the defined path, i.e. W:\, indirect works,
    but when I change the the W:\ to \\server\folder, it doesn't - I get #REF!

    I need to use the full server path becuase the file will be shared among
    others who have different paths set up

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Indirect does not recognize full server path?

    I think you'll find that with the next calculation, that =indirect() formula
    that points at a closed workbook will fail--no matter how you refer to that
    path.

    Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
    workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

  3. #3
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Indirect does not recognize full server path?

    I have the files open, and it fails using the full server path, but not when
    I use the defined path (and the file open, of course)...

  4. #4

    Re: Indirect does not recognize full server path?

    If the file is open, you don't need the path at all.

    I'd remove the path from the formula.

    I don't have a network to test it on, but I don't recall seeing any length
    restriction for that path. There is a length restriction for a formula in
    excel, though. It can't exceed 1024 characters when measured in R1C1 reference
    style.

    Any chance that's the problem?