Basic VLOOKUP Help

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Basic VLOOKUP Help

    I am trying vlookup and it is not quite working. I have 2 pages in the worksheet, the first has 2 columns A and B. The second has the same two columns A and B. I want the lookup to search for A1 on sheet 1, find that cell on sheet 2 and return the value in column B, sheet 2.

    I am using this formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A$2:A$955,1,0)

    When the value returns it shows what is in column A on sheet 2 rather than column B. If I change the 1 to a 2 it comes back with no value.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Basic VLOOKUP Help

    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A$2:B$955,2,0). You need the 2 in order to return data
    from the 2nd column of the table. But you've got to define the table as
    being two columns wide, hence the :B vs :A.

  3. #3

    Re: Basic VLOOKUP Help

    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A$2:B$955,2,0)

    You want the whole range (A:B) and you want to return the 2nd column in that
    range.

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:

  4. #4
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Basic VLOOKUP Help

    Your formula needs slight amendment, as follows:

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$2:B$955,2,0)

    In your description you say you want to find a match with A1, though
    your formula had A2. Also, the range needs to cover columns A and B,
    and you want to return the value from column 2.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete