Compiling Data

  1. #1
    Terry Bennett
    Guest

    Compiling Data

    Can anyone suggest a way of doing this ...

    I have a file detailing the results of 10 Area Managers. Each AM has a
    Sheet - column A lists weekdays throughout the year and C - J represent 8
    product groups. On a daily basis the results for each AM are entered on
    his/her Sheet.

    I need a summary sheet that will show the results between any given periods
    during the year. I can only think of doing this using SUMPRODUCT (and >=,
    <= parameters) but that would seem to mean having to create 80 (ie; 10 x 8)
    named ranges.

    Is there a simpler way?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Terry,
    what are the data in columns C:J? If they are product quantities with
    different prices then, yes, you would need a more complex formula. If
    they are all monetary amounts then you have no problem summing over
    more than one columns. E.g.:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A101>3)*--(A2:A101<10)*(C2:J101))

    will include in the sum all columns from the pertinent rows.

    Does this help?
    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Hi Terry

    It needn't be that complicated.
    Group the sheets 2 through 10 that refer to the individual AM's, by
    selecting the tab of the first one, hold down shift and press the tab of
    the last one (ensure that your summary sheet is not within this
    grouping.

    In cell L2 of any of the grouped sheets enter
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT($A$2:$A$100,"mm-yy")=TEXT(Sheet1!$A$1,"mm-yy")),B2:B100)

    Change the range from 100 to 10,000 or as many rows as you are likely to
    have on each sheet.
    Drag the formula across through M2:S2

    Click on your Summary sheet, this will ungroup the others.

    In cell A4 Enter Area Manager 1, etc down to Area Manager 10 in cell A13
    In cell C3 enter your product titles as per C:J from the AMSheets.

    In cell C3 enter =Sheet1!L2
    In cell C4 enter =Sheet2!L2 and continue down through C5:C13 stepping
    up the sheet number each time.
    Copy C3:C13 and copy across through D3:J3

    Now, when you enter a date in cell A1 on Summary, you will have the
    monthly totals for each Manager for each product.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Terry Bennett
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Thanks for the suggestions guys - I will have a play-around and see how I
    get on!

    Only thing I don't follow are the "--" symbols within the SUMPRODUCT
    formula. What effect do these have?

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Hi Terry

    The "--" signs are the double unary minus.
    They are there to coerce the results of the comparisons (which would
    return True or False) into 1's for True and 0's for False so that
    Sumproduct has an array of numbers to deal with.

    The same effect could be achieved by multiplying by 1, but the use of
    the "--" is thought to be slightly more efficient in calculation terms.
    If you want to read more about this, then Bob Phillips has an excellent
    treatise on the whole Sumproduct function at

  6. #6
    Terry Bennett
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Roger - your suggestions seemed to have worked-out well (even without the
    "double unary minuses"!) - many thanks for your help.

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Compiling Data

    Hi Terry

    Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked out for you.
    As it happens, in another thread in excel.misc, I have experienced a
    problem for the first time using the -- notation, which returned a
    #VALUE result, where using the 8 to multiply the matrices produced the
    correct result.
    I am going to have to re-visit this whole concept again and decide which
    way I prefer to operate in the future.

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest