Auto Coloring a Row

  1. #1
    chhanson
    Guest

    Auto Coloring a Row

    Hey I have set up Excel with a Drop down option through-out Column G.

    If column G = 'Pass' I want that whole row to be Font.Color = Green
    If column G = 'Fail' I want the whole row to be Font.Color = Red

    How can I get this to occur automatically?

    I get all lost not knowing all the functions and parameters that excell uses.

    Please help me with this

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    You can use Conditional Formatting.

    Select the entire row that you want to fill. Go to Format>Conditional Formatting. Select the Formula is: Option and use this for formatting red.

    =$G3="Fail"

    Click on Format and select the color. Ok.

    Click Add>>

    For condition 2, use Formula Is

    =$G3="Pass"

    Click on Format and select the color. Ok.

    Click on Ok.

    Select the entire row again, click on the Format Painter and apply it to all the rows you need.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Auto Coloring a Row

    1) With A1 selected, Go into <Format><Conditional Formatting>
    2) Choose "Formula Is" in the drop down box and enter =$G1="Pass", and
    choose a green format
    3) Choose to add a condition (by pressing "Add>>"), choose "Formula Is" in
    the drop down box again, and enter =$G1="Fail", and choose a red format.
    4) Click OK
    5) Select A1 and copy the formatting across every column, and down every row
    you would like this formatting to occur.

    Does that help?
    Dave

  4. #4
    chhanson
    Guest

    RE: Auto Coloring a Row

    Hey guys none of this helped all that much :S

    The entire Column of "G" needs to have this rule applied for ALL rows.
    The code you guys gave me is per row capable only.

    Is there a wild card I can use? ex =$G*="Pass"

    or a way to apply the rule of Column "G" coloring each row to the whole
    worksheet?

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    This should work. Using $G1 in your conditional format will allow you to drag the formula accross columns or vertically down rows keeping column G as the reference column and only changing the row number as it is copied down. Not sure without seeing an example of what you are trying to accomplish though.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Auto Coloring a Row

    "ALL" rows?

    CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select every row of the sheet.

    Format>CF and enter the 2 conditions as you were shown.

    Make sure you use =$G1="Pass" for condition1 and =$G1="Fail" for
    condition2

    NOTE the $ sign to lock column G but not the row number.

    I think formatting the entire sheet is a bit much. Perhaps you could
    select cells A1:X500 or somesuch range.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP