Time format to number while keeping value

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Time format to number while keeping value

    Hello,

    Thanks for the help. For inbound calls I use software called Discovery
    ACD. I am able to export a report from the ACD software into Excel. The
    problem with the export is that the data shows somewhat like a fractional
    number. See Imported Ave. Call Time below.

    In order to show the actual Ave. call time I take this number (say
    323.71791) and divide the number by 86,400 (the number of seconds in a day).
    The result of the division is 0.0037467.

    I then take this number and format the cell to custom m:ss. This format
    then produces the 5:24.

    What is happening is that when I use a Pivot Table the value is showing as
    12:05:24 AM.

    Question: How do I change the cell to show the time I need, while also
    changing the format of the cell to a number.

    Store # Calls Imported Ave. Call Time time should look like
    Store 1 50 323.71791 5:24
    Store 2 43 280.37209 4:40
    Store 3 19 343.10526 5:43
    Store 4 1 44 0:44
    Store 5 8 330.25 5:30
    Store 6 6 513.33333 8:33
    Store 7 12 259.08333 4:19
    Store 8 17 244.52941 4:05
    Store 9 33 305.48485 5:05

    Thanks

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Time format to number while keeping value

    You just need to change the PT field format.

    XL's stored values don't differentiate between times of day and elapsed
    times, so 0.00374673506944444 will display as 5:24 (Format m:ss) or
    12:05:24 AM (Format: h:mm:ss AM/PM) or 00:05:24 (Format hh:mm:ss),
    depending on the display format.

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Time format to number while keeping value

    One solution is to deal with minutes only:

    323.71791 divide by 60 to get 5.3952985 minutes rather than 5 minutes 24
    seconds.

    Then run the pivot table.

    --
    Gary''s Student