refer to drop down item as a sheet reference in a formula

  1. #1
    milkman
    Guest

    refer to drop down item as a sheet reference in a formula

    I want to use a drop down list of names to cause the formulas in excel to
    look on a sheet in the same work book with the same tab name as the drop down
    name chosen and place the data found in a particular cell in the appropriate
    cell on the sheet with the drop down. Each of the other sheets are data
    concerning only one name per sheet. I am using 2003 version in xp.
    I hope this makes sense to whom ever would like to field the question.
    Thanks!
    Ed

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: refer to drop down item as a sheet reference in a formula

    If I understand you correctly...

    Assume dropdown in A1, and the "particular cell" on the sheets is J10.

    =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!J10")

  3. #3
    milkman
    Guest

    Re: refer to drop down item as a sheet reference in a formula

    JE McGimpsey, That was the answer to my problem. Many Thanks.
    I do have one more issue now. When I try to fill series in the columns the
    fixed ref increases by 1 step instead of the variable ref (the one for the
    data base for the name chosen). Would appreciate help with this. Otherwise
    thanks again and have a good day!
    Ed