Filling in a number x, y times in y cells

  1. #1
    Damien
    Guest

    Filling in a number x, y times in y cells

    This is a difficult one to explain, so I will provide an example:

    a 1
    b 2
    c 3
    d 10
    j 2
    k 5

    Rows a through c contain a value for a given period, while row d contains a
    lump sum for all future periods. Row j is the average of rows a through c
    (which I am using as an estimate of future periodic values), while row k is
    row d divided by the average calculated in row j (the number of periods
    necessary until the lump sum is reached). What I am trying to do is then
    repeat the average calculated in row j in rows e through i the number of
    times shown in row k (thereby giving me 8 periodic values as opposed to 3
    periodic values and one lump sum). Any ideas on how to do this?

    Thanks so much for the help.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Filling in a number x, y times in y cells

    Not sure, but perhaps this plunge
    might start the ball rolling here <g> ..

    Assuming the example data is in A1:B11,
    where you probably have
    in B10: =AVERAGE(B1:B3)
    in B11: =B4/B10
    (I'm just reading it straight from your post)

    Then, perhaps just put in B5: =$B$10,
    and copy B5 down to B9

    Is that it ?
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Damien
    Guest

    Re: Filling in a number x, y times in y cells

    That would do it in this case, but my problem is that I'm trying to automate
    the process. I'm using a Bloomberg feed that would automatically fill in data
    for five years and then one lump sum for all future years. Those values will
    always be different, so I will always have a different average and number of
    times that the average divides into the lump sum...

    I suspect that there isn't a simple function to do this - perhaps I'll play
    around with VBA and see if I can work something out.

    Thanks for the response though. Take it easy.

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Filling in a number x, y times in y cells

    Thanks for the clarification !

    > .. That would do it in this case,
    > but my problem is that I'm trying to automate the process.

    Yes, of course, that would be the usual inference <g>

    Just to move it along a little further here ..

    ".. Bloomberg feed ..."
    This may well be second nature to you,
    but probably not to a lot of us

    Perhaps you could either* paste some representative data of how the feed
    actually appears in the sheet in plain text in your reply (showing some
    variations). Tell us how we can "identify" which cell in the col will
    contain the lump sum, how to identify when one feed ends and the other
    begins, etc, etc (the variation patterns)

    *Alternatively, upload a small sample file
    and paste the *link* to it in your reply

    Some free filehosts that could be used to upload your sample:
    http://www.flypicture.com/
    http://cjoint.com/index.php
    http://www.savefile.com/index.php

    For cjoint.com (it's in French), just click "Browse" button, navigate to
    your folder > select the sample file > Open, then click the button centred
    in the page below (labelled "Creer le lien Cjoint") and it'll
    generate the link. Then copy & paste the generated link as part and parcel
    of your response here.

    Kindly note that no attachments
    should be posted *directly* to the newsgroup

    I'm not saying I'd ultimately have a further (formula) suggestion to offer
    (it may be beyond me), but, if you deepen your clarification further here as
    suggested above, it'll be visible to the many other regular responders out
    there, some of whom may well have something to offer you.

    Either way, kindly post a closure response here to let us know whether
    you're keen to pursue this further. Cheers.