consolidate totals

  1. #1
    r-boneinc
    Guest

    consolidate totals

    I have multiple workbooks with multiple worksheets. I am trying to get a
    running total to continue from sheet to sheet and book to book. How can I do
    this?

  2. #2
    Bruno Campanini
    Guest

    Re: consolidate totals

    "r-boneinc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have multiple workbooks with multiple worksheets. I am trying to get a
    > running total to continue from sheet to sheet and book to book. How can I
    > do
    > this?

    Switching to a database...

    Bruno

  3. #3
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: consolidate totals

    A running total is typically a formula of the type:
    =B1+A2 (a formula for B2) or =C1+A2-B2 (a formula for C2). Or some
    variant...
    I.e. we reference the previous value and we add whatever made it
    change.
    This is why we often have one additional row at the top of the column
    with the running total, we need a starting balance.
    In the above examples, where data and summations start from row 2, we
    would provide an initial value in B1, the starting balance.

    Can you adopt the same philosophy in your calculations? If so, in
    Sheet2!B1 (or whatever cell has the starting balance), you would put
    the formula

    =Sheet1!B65536 (or whatever is the last cell containing the last
    running total of the previous sheet).

    Does this help?
    Kostis Vezerides